New BDA-3.14 and Roon

pale scotsman

New BDA-3.14 and Roon
« on: 3 Mar 2023, 01:49 pm »
New guy here.  Just got a new BDA-3.14 and having issues with the onboard Pi streamer and Roon.  The unit mutes itself when switching between songs.  Not all the time, but the only way out is to pause and pick another song and then it may play.  Roon has all default settings and it happens with local as well as streamed tracks. I've even tried adjusting the sync settings in Roon to see if that would help.  If I pause a song and then pick another then it works.  It will mute itself on the same album if jumping from one track to another.

This mute issue does not happen when using Manic Moose or an external streamer that I have.  Firmware is up to date, but when I do the firmware check I get a checksum failed error.  Did a factory reset and get the same issue.

I've got another streamer/dac that has no issues with Roon.  The DAC portion of the BDA-3.14 is fantastic btw.  Any ideas as to why the unit is muting itself?  It's hooked up directly to the router btw.

Thanks!

zeeman

Re: New BDA-3.14 and Roon
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2023, 05:30 pm »
I have this issue occasionally and I've traced it back to my Macbook (which also functions as my Roon Core).  I believe this may be an issue because the Macbook is now the better part of a decade old and it's processing speed/bandwidth isn't as good as newer units.  My newer iphone and ipad works the 3.14 flawlessly when used as a Roon remote and the macbook is operating as the Roon core.

pale scotsman

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2023, 07:25 pm »
Thanks for the input!  My core is on a SGC Sonictransporter in another part of the house and it is only a couple of years old.  I am running ethernet to the BDA-3.14 from a wifi extender though.  My previous Naim gear worked fine set up this way through the extender.  I'll move the core so it runs off the same extender tonight to see if that's the issue.

jobiwon

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2023, 10:38 pm »
I had stability problems with extender technology.  :(  I went to a Mesh network.  I have a node at the rig (RN)  and hard wire my SGC ST i5 and my BDP Pi directly to the RN.  There are 2 other nodes that form the network RN in line of site of 2nd node and 2nd node inline of site of base node.

No more stability problems.

pale scotsman

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2023, 05:47 pm »
I ended up moving the SGC i5 server to run off the same extender and still had issues.  This morning I uploaded and applied the firmware from support.bryston.com named BDA3_2020_04A_OldMB.bin via the service ethernet port and the problem has gone away.  The mute issue when skipping from song to song in Roon is gone.