SOLD: Omega Super Alnico Monitor custom build (Furutech, Zenwave, Sound Anchors)

absolutk

In 2020, after some experience with low wattage, high sensitivity speakers, I decided to custom build a pair of Super Alnico Monitors with Louis of Omega speakers, Dave of Zenwave audio and Bernie of Sound Anchors. Here were the customizations:

$2000 - Super Alnico Monitors
+$300 - Real Cocobolo Veneer
+$600 - Zenwave SSR (UPOCC Silver Ribbon) internal wiring
+$250 - Furutech Low Mass Binding Posts - Rhodium
+$50 - Furutech Quick Disconnect Terminals - Rhodium
+$0 - Round Grilles
+$550 - Custom Sound Anchors Speaker Stands
---------------------------
$3750 - Total Build Cost (not including tax and freight).

This was a "no holds barred" build intended to extract the most from my Chord TT2 DAC. Little did I know that the resulting speaker would be "in whole, greater than the sum of its parts". Friends and acquaintances would sit glued in front of the system - sometimes for hours.

The speakers were intended to be powered directly from a Chord TT2 (8 wpc), and later a Dave DAC (2 wpc). As such, all components were chosen for the lowest possible impedance and resistance and highest resolution. When presented with the design goals, Louis recommended the regular SAM over the HO version for its superior "point source" capability (single driver instead of two, eliminating phase alignment issues).

Furutech's Low Mass Binding Post have only a single α (Alpha)-OCC wound-wire as the whole conductor (no excessive metal in the power pathway). Rhodium versions were chosen for resolution. The housing is made of nylon, fiberglass, piezo ceramic and carbon damping material that is branded as NCF in their AC connectors, providing excellent RFI and EMI shielding.

Zenwave's SSR UP OCC Silver ribbon wire (the best offered by Dave) is sheathed in a teflon foam and is terminated in Furutech Rhodium disconnect terminals to mate with the chosen binding posts.

The above two provide an ultra-low-impedance electrical pathway that brings the SAM alive in a whole new dimension. In a high efficiency speaker, this matters a lot, especially when powering them with high quality, low powered amplifiers. Transparency and immediacy come to mind, along with razor sharp imaging.

For the presentation, I incorporated the following design elements:
* Cocobolo veneer
* Round grilles to add a unique, mid-century modern character to the speakers
* Single-post, 3-point stands with wider stance to preserve stability while looking minimal

The pair had probably 100 hours on it before being packed up for a move. They were never unpacked as we acquired new speakers for the new home and the basement isn't as dry as I'd like to set them up as a second system. I'd like for them to find a home that would appreciate them. 

Priced at $2800 (SOLD) for the package. Local SF Bay sale greatly preferred since there are 4 boxes, but can ship at buyer's expense [$224 to the East Coast (NY~FL); $134 to the West Coast (WA~CA)]

Thanks!

Link from Head-fi: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-tt-2-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.879425/page-378#post-14987724

« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2023, 11:15 pm by absolutk »

Kalali

Excellent upgrade of an already fantastic speaker. I've never looked inside mine but I will and will consider doing those upgrades.
Good luck with the sale.

absolutk

Thank you! Speakers are sold. I know for a fact that I’ll get another pair sooner than later just based on this experience with Louis and Dave.

Excellent upgrade of an already fantastic speaker. I've never looked inside mine but I will and will consider doing those upgrades.
Good luck with the sale.