wiring to use in OB sub build?

drphoto

wiring to use in OB sub build?
« on: 25 Feb 2023, 10:07 pm »
Wondering what people are using to wire their OB subs. I have dual drivers in an H-frame. (2 of them)  Years ago, I temporarily wired used cheap ass 'speaker wire' from Home Depot, just to see if they worked. I plan to have the plate amps in an external box, and was thinking Speakon connectors might be good for connection to the speaker cab.  Sorry if this has been covered. Like I said in another post, I've been away from audio and this forum for at least 10 years. (I changed careers, and new job gives me way less free time than when I was self employed.)

Cheers

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: wiring to use in OB sub build?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2023, 01:40 am »
I use 10awg Belden 5T00UP from Blue Jeans Cable.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2023, 06:54 pm by corndog71 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2023, 03:31 pm »
We now send those kits out with wire. We us a 14 gauge OFC Copper in a polyethylene sleeve.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2023, 03:48 pm »
We now send those kits out with wire. We us a 14 gauge OFC Copper in a polyethylene sleeve.

Danny's wire is very nice.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2023, 10:26 pm »
Is the GR wire available separately? I didn't see it on their website.  It will be some time before I tackle this project. Still need to install countertop and tile floor in break room and tile bathroom floor in my music studio. Plus, I have to send one of my Odyssey power amps back for repair, as last time I hooked it up, a speaker cable came loose and shorted the amp output. When I get that done, I'm gonna give my little Merlins another go in a different position in my room. They are too good of a speaker to casually dismiss. Beginning to think lack of holographic sound staging is more my setup than the speaker. Bobby knew his stuff.

Thanks guys.

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2023, 10:31 pm »
Is the GR wire available separately? I didn't see it on their website.  It will be some time before I tackle this project. Still need to install countertop and tile floor in break room and tile bathroom floor in my music studio. Plus, I have to send one of my Odyssey power amps back for repair, as last time I hooked it up, a speaker cable came loose and shorted the amp output. When I get that done, I'm gonna give my little Merlins another go in a different position in my room. They are too good of a speaker to casually dismiss. Beginning to think lack of holographic sound staging is more my setup than the speaker. Bobby knew his stuff.

Thanks guys.

https://gr-research.com/product/internal-speaker-wire-10-foot-pair/

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2023, 10:35 pm »

Thanks guys.

It's 14 gauge stranded wire, we sell it for $1 a foot
Just shoot us an email to info@gr-research.com

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2023, 10:35 pm »

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2023, 10:44 pm »
Ah, sorry!

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2023, 12:23 am »
You guys are awesome. Now I remember why I liked this place so much. Will contact GR for the wire and see what they say about connecting the plate amp.

Cheers!  :wave:

Theronbo

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2023, 02:12 am »
The wire is the easy part…

Knowing where the wires go is the hard bit…

I assumed I knew what I was doing when I built mine… did it wrong two different ways…

After… “oh! Yeah, that makes sense…”

Well, I had Double Trouble with opposed drivers…

The name should have been a heads up….

Vince in TX

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2023, 02:56 am »
I used the wiring that came with the kits and set them up as a mirrored pair.   :thumb: