Qobuz in Canada May 2023

GSDaudio

Qobuz in Canada May 2023
« on: 25 Feb 2023, 01:57 pm »
Finally I will get a chance to stream Qobuz 192/24 on the BDP-3!!!!   Don't know why Qobuz took so long to come to Canada??

Cheers

gbaby

Re: Qobuz in Canada May 2023
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2023, 06:19 pm »
Finally I will get a chance to stream Qobuz 192/24 on the BDP-3!!!!   Don't know why Qobuz took so long to come to Canada??

Cheers

You're not missing much.

alanford69

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2023, 09:04 pm »
You're not missing much.

You’re missing much more: the possibility to listen to all the music you like and try all the new issues in almost the best quality available!

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2023, 01:32 am »
Oh wow!!! Been waiting for such a long time for this. Finally, a bit perfect option to have on desktop and to integrate with Roon.

Spotify lossless on the other hand.... :banghead:

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2023, 01:41 am »
Hi,

Canada is slower than Australia as we have had Qobuz here for over a year.

Cheers Rod

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2023, 02:36 am »
Another nice feature in Qobuz is you can download the digital file for your library in full resolution - try this album if you like Blues !

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2023, 01:27 pm »
You're not missing much.

GSDaudio: I would wager that once you've heard it you will realize that you were indeed missing much. It is a fantastic service.

gbaby: Is there a better streaming service out there? I've yet to find one, but I'm all ears.

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2023, 03:26 pm »
Another nice feature in Qobuz is you can download the digital file for your library in full resolution - try this album if you like Blues !

That's definitely a great sounding album.

I can download tracks to a locally stored library via the Qobuz app on my phone or computer, but in Roon it seems that Roon just adds the metadata to its database file (what it calls your "library" when it is actually just the card catalogue). Roon says this is to allow you to customize album info or tags. I'm not sure anyone does that.

Is there actually a way to get Roon to put the a copy of the music tracks in the folder where you store your music? This would be truly useful because playback of locally stored files sounds better than streaming them over the internet.

Regarding Qobuz, it is fantastic. I would not consider any other service. Qobuz is focused on the quality of the music in its original, lossless format. They stream in an open standard, FLAC. They do not introduce gimmicks, distortion, and consumer-hostile or deceptive formats like "spatial audio" or MQA mumbo jumbo. Almost every track or album on Qobuz can be purchased from their store in full resolution with no DRM. Their prices are typically lower than HD Tracks, and they also offer a subscription, for an additional fee per month, to provide substantial discounts on buying music. It looks to provide a 30-40% discount, so it could add up to being worthwhile. I have not tried it, however.

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2023, 12:57 am »
You’re missing much more: the possibility to listen to all the music you like and try all the new issues in almost the best quality available!

Fortunately for me, I own lthousand of CDs, so I don’t need streaming from anyone. I also was disc jockey in my youth so….

zoom25

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2023, 12:58 am »

Download as in offline playback that's stored in cache like what Netflix, Spotify, or even Amazon does? Or you can download FLAC files and keep them indefinitely? If it's the latter, do you pay separate for each download, or is it included as part of the monthly subscription?

Also, does anyone know if Qobuz pricing has been announced for Canada (CAD)?

zoom25

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2023, 01:02 am »
Fortunately for me, I own lthousand of CDs, so I don’t need streaming from anyone. I also was disc jockey in my youth so….

I did digital downloads and rip with CDs for about 20 years. As of 2020ish I finally stopped. I still use my local library from time to time and absolutely cherish it for the memories, but it definitely takes time, work and effort to keep building it and maintain it and backups etc. I was somewhere around 50k tracks and full albums.

Streaming in a way made it more fun. Just press play and its there in lossless. On every device. Also curated playlists have gotten lot better across the services I think. At least Amazon looks comparable to Spotify (I have both at the moment).

alanford69

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2023, 09:53 am »

I am interested in listening what's new as well, not to live only in the past and for this purpose Qobuz is fantastic.

gbaby

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2023, 10:06 pm »
I did digital downloads and rip with CDs for about 20 years. As of 2020ish I finally stopped. I still use my local library from time to time and absolutely cherish it for the memories, but it definitely takes time, work and effort to keep building it and maintain it and backups etc. I was somewhere around 50k tracks and full albums.

Streaming in a way made it more fun. Just press play and its there in lossless. On every device. Also curated playlists have gotten lot better across the services I think. At least Amazon looks comparable to Spotify (I have both at the moment).

You must be compressing your files using mp3 as 50k is rather small. I on my fourth terabyte and the last one is almost full. My music is imported as PCM 44.1/16 and 176/24 sampling rate which takes a lot of storage that is now cheap.

gbaby

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2023, 10:08 pm »
I am interested in listening what's new as well, not to live only in the past and for this purpose Qobuz is fantastic.

Not me. I want to listen to what I already own and I have now gravitated to vinyl, the ones I already own.

gbaby

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2023, 10:10 pm »

I don't have Spotify but I find Amazon unlistenable.

Twiga

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2023, 11:15 pm »
I find Amazon unlistenable.

Is that because of the current content or the sound quality of the streaming audio from Amazon?

zoom25

« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2023, 11:34 pm »
You must be compressing your files using mp3 as 50k is rather small. I on my fourth terabyte and the last one is almost full. My music is imported as PCM 44.1/16 and 176/24 sampling rate which takes a lot of storage that is now cheap.

What....what are you reading...and where are you getting this MP3 and compression out of? Sir, are you feeling fine?

I have around 50,000 tracks (50k tracks). For me, 50,000 tracks is already wayyyyy too much. My library exists in both FLAC and WAV variants. The WAV variant was created just for Bryston/MPD purpose. Now that I don't really use the BDP-1, I have the FLAC version for actual master copy, backup, and Roon use. The library size is in the terabytes.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2023, 07:44 am »
Oh yeah baby this is great news for us!!

Also, does anyone know if Qobuz pricing has been announced for Canada (CAD)?

That's my only concern.  I am sure it will be more than the $10 CAD I'm paying for Tidal.  Probably $20 CAD similar to Australia...
12-month non-refundable subscription, with a single payment of $199.90. Monthly subscription available at $19.99/month.

GSDaudio

« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2023, 12:53 pm »

That's my only concern.  I am sure it will be more than the $10 CAD I'm paying for Tidal.  Probably $20 CAD similar to Australia...
12-month non-refundable subscription, with a single payment of $199.90. Monthly subscription available at $19.99/month.
[/quote]

If you will pardon my pricing fantasy... Qobuz partnered with QUB Musique in Quebec to provide francophone music to Quebecers.   This was a precursor to the Qobuz rollout (assumed).   On the QUB website they have a subscription for $11.99 a month.....extrapolate...the Qobuz subscription won't be less than $11.99 and potentially more????   But how much more?  I'd go with $15 as a fair price.

gbaby

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2023, 03:48 pm »
What....what are you reading...and where are you getting this MP3 and compression out of? Sir, are you feeling fine?

I have around 50,000 tracks (50k tracks). For me, 50,000 tracks is already wayyyyy too much. My library exists in both FLAC and WAV variants. The WAV variant was created just for Bryston/MPD purpose. Now that I don't really use the BDP-1, I have the FLAC version for actual master copy, backup, and Roon use. The library size is in the terabytes.

Sorry my man. When you posted 50k tracks, I am thinking 50k Albums. Sorry.