BDP players reading music ID tags?

Twiga

BDP players reading music ID tags?
« on: 8 Feb 2023, 12:12 am »
How do the BDP-n players pick up or interpret the tags in a music file indicating metadata such as Artist, Title, Album?

In browsing through my music library, I notice that the sequence of these items is not alway consistent, varying with the software used for ripping and any local adjustments made to the ripping parameters. Usually, MM correctly reads the files in order to sort by artist and album song; however, the information appearing in the small front monitor is not consistent nor does the information seem to be always consistent in the MM interface. Usually the information scrolling across the top of the screen is correct, but occasionally it gets screwed up. Also in the listing of the songs in the current playlist, occasionally a "by" gets inserted in front of the Artist name.  :scratch:

I would like to ensure that everything is consistent within my library and in the BDP interface, but without understanding how the BDPs read the file info, I don't know how to organize the information tags.

Thanks for any insights.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP players reading music ID tags?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2023, 12:13 pm »
Hi - sounds like a Chris question - crice@bryston.com

james

Digi-G

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2023, 01:48 pm »
I can't comment on how the Bryston reads that data, but it sounds like the issue is with the metadata attached to the files anyway.

For years my music library was the same way.  I was using .WAV files and half the time (most of the time?) the meta data was missing or incorrect.  Also, I didn't have an image associated with any of my music files.  I HAD to learn how to do this to get the most out of my music library!

Here is the software you need.  It's free.

MP3TAG

It seems to work with any (at least many) types of music files, not just MP3.  Don't let the name fool you.  I'm using .FLAC files now.  The data and image attachments are MUCH more stable than .WAV files.  The software will take a little bit of a learning curve, but there are probably u-toob video's that will help.  It's a powerful tool that I wouldn't be without, now that I know about it.  It's worth learning it (it's really not that hard).

Good luck.

p.s.  One other thing.  I listen to these files in the car too.  It took me a while to realize that the car only looks at the meta data attached to the files - it doesn't care about (i.e. ignores) the filename.  That wasn't obvious when first trying to get it to work.

Twiga

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2023, 03:51 am »
Thanks for the recommendation, Digi-G. I also found another application called Audio Ranger which seems to correct things automatically. It has a free version (which has an imposed processing delay) and a paid version. I will try both.

Nonetheless, I would like to understand how the metadata works for audio files. I hope Chris is reading this.

Soldeed

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2023, 02:06 pm »
I would like to understand how the metadata works for audio files.

The beauty of using MP3TAG is you can see exactly how tags work.

Filename: (Artist - Album) 01 EXAMPLE Year.flac
Format string: (%artist% - %album%) %track% EXAMPLE %year%

I use Mp3tag to delete the tag then redo the tag with Title Artist Album & Year which is the only information I care about for my library.

YMMV

gbaby

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2023, 05:17 pm »
I can't comment on how the Bryston reads that data, but it sounds like the issue is with the metadata attached to the files anyway.

For years my music library was the same way.  I was using .WAV files and half the time (most of the time?) the meta data was missing or incorrect.  Also, I didn't have an image associated with any of my music files.  I HAD to learn how to do this to get the most out of my music library!

Here is the software you need.  It's free.

MP3TAG

It seems to work with any (at least many) types of music files, not just MP3.  Don't let the name fool you.  I'm using .FLAC files now.  The data and image attachments are MUCH more stable than .WAV files.  The software will take a little bit of a learning curve, but there are probably u-toob video's that will help.  It's a powerful tool that I wouldn't be without, now that I know about it.  It's worth learning it (it's really not that hard).

Good luck.

p.s.  One other thing.  I listen to these files in the car too.  It took me a while to realize that the car only looks at the meta data attached to the files - it doesn't care about (i.e. ignores) the filename.  That wasn't obvious when first trying to get it to work.

If you use dbpoweramp to import your wav files, you will get the cover art almost automatically.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2023, 08:11 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation, Digi-G. I also found another application called Audio Ranger which seems to correct things automatically. It has a free version (which has an imposed processing delay) and a paid version. I will try both.

Nonetheless, I would like to understand how the metadata works for audio files. I hope Chris is reading this.

Its relative to where the tag data is, if the data is stored at the beginning of the file its usually not a problem, however if the data is stored at the end of the file then the player will read a certain amount of data and if the header isn't found it assumes it doesn't exist and moves on to the next file.

Chris

Twiga

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2023, 11:11 pm »
Are the tags determined by their sequence or is there some kind of token to identify what the characters should be classified as?  :scratch:

Thanks, Chris.