Why Become an Audiophile?

Mag

Why Become an Audiophile?
« on: 9 Jan 2023, 01:15 am »
    If you're like me, when you reach a certain age or stage if life. Vanities tend to lose their meaning or importance in life. Listening to music though is still there to reflect on life, connect with your inner self, God or whatever you want to call it. Your taste in music may change, mellow out, etc., but you still have a need to sit back, relax and enjoy.

As I found out you don't have to spend megabucks on a system. With careful planning and today's computer tech you can put together a very good sounding system at a fraction of the cost that I spent. However my budget system doesn't come close to the bass output on the main rig. So if bass is your thing then you gotta spend the bucks. :smoke:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Why Become an Audiophile?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2023, 02:46 am »
 deleted

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2023, 03:35 am »
My name is Joe Audio, I spend all my income in CDs and expensive equipment designed to be obsolete in a few years.
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2023, 05:17 am by FullRangeMan »

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2023, 04:12 am »
In order to really consider the question, I have to ask myself another: What is an audiophile?

My personal definition is:

A person who is interested in the art and science of recording and reproducing sound (usually meaning music.)

Audiophilia is commonly referred to as a 'hobby' but sometimes seems to be more of a fetish.

You don't have to spend $60-100K to get enjoyable playback of recorded music in the home. But to each his/her own.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2023, 04:19 am »
Why would someone want to have better audio playback equipment?  For me, it's like putting on my glasses when I walk through a museum.  Sure, I can enjoy the experience without my glasses but I get so much more out of it when everything is in focus.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2023, 04:39 am »
Being an audiophile is a foolish endeavor and we should discourage everyone from pursuing it. Audiocircle is like handing out free fentanyl to drug addicts. I shouldn't be here. 

If you're new to this forum -- you've been warned!!!

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2023, 11:12 am »
I like the way you put it Tyson  :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2023, 12:56 pm »
Hi,

I think I am addicted to having the best system I can afford. For example, I just bought a new turntable a Technics SL1200G but I could have spent less than half the price on the SL1200GR which is a nice sounding unit.  I just had to buy the best I could afford because I know that down the track I would want to upgrade to the SL1200G anyway.

Its an addiction I guess...

I don't waste my money on gambling or other excesses just my hifi system.

Great topic Btw.

Cheers Rod

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2023, 01:55 pm »
Why?  It's because of the fidelity and convenience of listening at home. 

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2023, 04:10 pm »
Bass: The Final Frontier

All About That Bass

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2023, 04:30 pm »
Because it was there.

scullyfunk

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2023, 06:26 pm »
For me it was Dark Side of the Moon - the first time I heard it, I knew I wanted to hear it in the best possible quality. That sent me down the path of different masterings, playback gear and most importantly: tubes!

AllanS

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2023, 07:16 am »
  Without a clue of what I was getting myself into I hopped on this merry go round thinking I’d pursue the best reproduction I can comfortably afford in order to faithfully reproduce artistic intent to provide for my listening nirvana.  Ha.  That’s where it started and maybe some day it’ll be as Tyson described with my savings and marriage intact.
  Hopefully en route to at the Zen state that so many have seemingly achieved, what’s coming out of the speakers is currently serving as little more than a reminder of the flawed sound stage, reappearing speakers, and crap recordings that I used to enjoy.
  Why become an audiophile?  Because once in focus with a stable prescription I’m hoping to not only enjoy the music but also something of being there.  That may mean the listening chair and critical listening is reserved for recordings that are equal to the reproduction capabilities.  I don’t know but I think it’s too late to turn back.

VinceT

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2023, 07:38 am »
I have an old pair of EPI 150 speakers with a 65 dollar Fosi streaming amp at the office. We enjoy that little system very much at work and it sounds great.

Good playback can be had at any budget..and i try not to spend too much on my hobby. I have to be honest with myself, I do really enjoy the chase of high fidelity. I find it a great way to relax and a fun hobby that helps me stay sane..lol. i like futzing with my gear, making interconnects, trying different amps, buying and selling gear, moving my speakers about the room one inch at a time with little tape marks on the floor, and researching audio related topics. ... the nice people i meet...all of it. Then taking some time, to enjoy my system and have satisfaction from the work I put into it.  It is great to sit back on a weekend after a long week at work and hang with the family and listen to some great sounding tunes. We all have our motivations and it's all good, in the end it's something that brings joy to our lives in some capacity.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2023, 12:31 pm »
If you've ever cried while listening to your system because the music was so beautifully reproduced you understand.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2023, 01:57 pm »
Being an audiophile is a foolish endeavor and we should discourage everyone from pursuing it. Audiocircle is like handing out free fentanyl to drug addicts. I shouldn't be here. 

If you're new to this forum -- you've been warned!!!

:o But, but, but....aren't we here to egg each other on? To encourage each other?  8)

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2023, 03:42 pm »
I don't think anybody "decides" to become an audiophile - especially if they understand the semantic baggage that comes along with the word. Rather, I think that one (eventually) discovers that they have become one and that they have become a baggage carrier for the baggage of their choice. The path to that realization and understanding is very personal, although many of us share similar waypoints and trajectories. The rewards are greater than the costs (if you are careful) and are the motivating drivers behind every choice one makes on this path to the pursuit of inner joy. Happy listening dear colleagues!

jjss49

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2023, 04:03 am »
for me it is because i really love music, the wonderful experience, the transcendant feelings it provides, the discovery of brilliant new art and artists -- and being an audiophile allows me to put together a system that lets me thoroughly enjoy this in the comfort of my home, when i want, as if the performers and performances are real and lifelike (within practical bounds of course)

so at the end of the day, it is about enabling the thorough appreciation of a beloved art form, and the very high degree of enjoyment it affords - a key element of a good, fulfilling life that i have worked so hard to obtain

ohh and messing with fancy equipment is fun too!!  :thumb: