Bda3.14 advice

celticsfan1

Bda3.14 advice
« on: 2 Jan 2023, 09:23 pm »
Hello
I am looking to purchase a bda3.14
I can connect it to my melco server using an ethernet connection or usb.
Can someone tell me if the manic moose software is good to use and stable. There were some probably unfair reviews about it originally on the bda3.14 at release.

Also is anyone using it connected to say a melco server or a nas drive, where it can republicans over upnp. Does mconnect software work as well on the bda3.14?

Thanks for your help

jobiwon

Re: Bda3.14 advice
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2023, 02:09 am »
Sounds like you are going to plays files and stream from either Qobuz/Tidal?

celticsfan1

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2023, 05:07 am »
Yes that’s correct

celticsfan1

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2023, 06:39 am »
I am tossing up the bcd3 against using a melco n1a mk2 server connected to the bda3.14, either via usb or Ethernet. Does anyone know what sounds better between the usb or Ethernet on the bda3.14?

jobiwon

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2023, 03:33 pm »
I assume the Melco would be just a storage device?

Regarding MM.  There are many discussions on here about it.  Your answer will lie in your expectations & requirements.   Is it stable? Yes. But its also Spartan by todays standards.  If you  just want to create playlist and queue up some tracks from your local files and music service it does the job. Plays my favorite Radio Station well (RadioParadise).   The SQ is top notch.

But if you have ever experienced something like ROON and get the full immersion of what a music service is capable of offering, you might be disappointed.   The PC interface works smoother than the tablet. 

Nitsuave

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2023, 03:16 am »
I’ve got a Melco N1A/2 connected to my 3.14 via USB to stream Tidal as well as music stored on its drives. I’ve tested both Ethernet using the 3.14 as the streamer through the player port on the Melco and USB using the Melco as the streamer with the 3.14 acting as a DAC only. My preference is the USB connection using the Melco HD app to control things.

The bonus feature of the 3.14 is it’s digital preamp capability - it’s connected directly to my 4B3 and the results are very good to my ears.

jobiwon

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2023, 03:30 pm »

The bonus feature of the 3.14 is it’s digital preamp capability - it’s connected directly to my 4B3 and the results are very good to my ears.

Is the volume control at the Melco interface?  Just trying to understand; if the Melco functions as the streamer why would you need the streamer capability in the 3.14?

Nitsuave

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2023, 03:11 am »
Is the volume control at the Melco interface?  Just trying to understand; if the Melco functions as the streamer why would you need the streamer capability in the 3.14?

The 3.14 controls the volume. With the Melco acting as streamer the 3.14 is used only as a DAC and preamp.