Quick! Someone talk me out of buying "Ghost Ship"

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 27 Mar 2003, 02:30 am »
I think we can safely assume this is a terrible movie, but I'm oddly intriqued by it.  I admit to having a fascination with cheesy movies, and here we have overblown cheesy effects galore.  But we also have Gabriel Bryne and Julianna Marguiles.  I'm a sucker for the haunted ship sorta thing.

Maybe I'll come to my senses before friday.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2003, 03:18 am »
Once you get past the first 5 minutes it sucks ass.

Buy it at Costco (so you can take it back after you find out it's retched) or rent it. You'll be sorry if you buy it...

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2003, 03:20 am »
Maybe I should add that it makes The Time Machine enjoyable in comparison. How's that for bad?

Johng316

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2003, 06:07 am »
I too was intrigued by this movie until I read no fewer than 10 scathing reviews by people I know and trust.  The reviews persuaded me that I would be better off watching "Japanese virgins bathing in dolphin blood" scene from Mr. Mike's Mondo Video (IMO, the worst film I've ever seen).

Watch at your own peril!

Don't buy it, or you might castrate yourself with the disc to distract yourself from the pain and shame of the purchase!

OK, how's that for persuasion?   :lol:

John G

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2003, 09:28 am »
Quote from: Johng316
Watch at your own peril!

Don't buy it, or you might castrate yourself with the disc to distract yourself from the pain and shame of the purchase!

If that doesn't work, I don't know what will...

But seriously, the first 5 or so minutes is cool.

Then the rest is just lame. I wanted to like it. It sounded cool, and had a pretty decent cast. But it just didn't work. Virus was better, and that sucked.

But I'd bet Rob got the picture when I mentioned Ghost Ship makes Time Machine seem enjoyable in comparison. I tried to warn him not to pick up Time Machine, but I didn't warn him in time and he had to find out the hard way...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2003, 02:15 am »
YIKES!  Worse than the TIME MACNINE?! :o   I give up! :surrender:   Yeah, it looked like a stinker, but I do have a weakness for the cheese!  But, yes, I was warned about TM, and look how that one turned out!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2003, 02:17 am »
BTW, Virus was a real stinker, too.  At least in a movie that bad, Jamie Lee Curtis coulda "you know, showed us her thingies, uh huh, huh, huh huh!"

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2003, 12:14 pm »
If you can figure out how to watch it for free, the first 5 minutes is cool...

mvwine

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2003, 04:21 pm »
The first scene made me think "whoa! what have I gotten myself into?", but after that, a pretty run of the mill movie.