Introduction - Omnidirectional speakers

360audio

Introduction - Omnidirectional speakers
« on: 13 Dec 2022, 08:26 pm »
Hello all,

I'm new here. Speaker building have been a point of interest through my life, being both a musician and a tech nerd.
I've built traditional speakers, active DPS based ones, sub satellite combos, transmission lines, single drive full range horns, there are pros and cons with all principals.
I've previously not paid much attention to anything happening off-axis. It wasn't until I for a second time watched Steve Guttenburg's review of the Ohm Walsh 1000 omnidirectional speaker, that I started to elaborate on this topic - It has been a revelation! as I'm not always sat pinned down in the sweet spot. Also, I've not previously understood how important it is that the sound characteristics of the reflected sound and the direct sound is the same

In my first test I'm using a pair of Seas FA22RCZ I have available at present as mid-woofers, and PMC (Seas) H1547 on top

The imaging is freakishly realistic and has blown an acoustic hole in my walls

Has anyone else also been investigating this avenue?

richidoo

Re: Introduction - Omnidirectional speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2022, 10:10 pm »
Has anyone else also been investigating this avenue?

No, but I'm looking forward to reading about your projects and findings!

I have heard the MBL 101 metal phalli several times at shows. It's usually an impressive performance if you like smooth jazz, but one time they played a person's CD with incompatible music that made them distort badly.
That's no reflection on omni radiation, but MBL is the most visible omni brand nowadays. Maybe I should clear memory and reboot? I have tried dipoles, but the side null doesn't work for me so I stick to the boxes.

Your design looks a little like Linkwitz LXmini. Was that part of your inspiration?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2022, 10:45 pm »
Welcome!

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2022, 11:31 pm »
Another omni contender, Morrison Audio which makes two models:
https://www.morrisonaudio.com/

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2022, 11:57 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2022, 06:31 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC 360   :thumb:

360audio

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2022, 11:34 am »
Your design looks a little like Linkwitz LXmini. Was that part of your inspiration?

I have indeed with great interest been looking at all of Linkwitz's designs, pluto and LX Mini especially.
My current idea evolves around the Walsh Ohm design, with an inverted cone for the lows and a tweeter on top.
I guess the goal is the same - source point alignment.

I'm considering a woofer from ScanSpeak's Illuminator series for its unusually free flowing, good looking motor magnet and extremely long linear excursion.
And the Seas DXT tweeter which apparently has an excellent desperation.

I've got access to DSP, Dirac and multiple IcePower boards, but would ultimately aim for a design that is not dependant of DSP.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2022, 05:39 pm »
= I'm using a pair of Seas FA22RCZI

A good driver. One of the few that is happy sealed. Really needs a phase plug. You have to notch the bottom, the SEAS polepiece is not flat.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/B200-phase-plug.pdf

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2022, 05:40 pm »
morrisonaudio

The latest iteration of the Hegeman speaker.

dave

360audio

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2022, 08:46 pm »
A good driver. One of the few that is happy sealed. Really needs a phase plug. You have to notch the bottom, the SEAS polepiece is not flat.

Hi Dave,

The FA22RCZ is unusual having a fs of 30Hz and yet only a mms of 12.6 gr.

Regarding the phase plug, I like your take on the was trying to buy your B200 plugs about 9 months ago. But you said you shipped the last one and that you wouldn't be making any more. I did however find a guy who custom made me a couple in stainless steel.

The harshness was tamed, and not unexpectedly the higher frequencies dropped off a bit. I've still got the whizzers set aside intact, didn't want to destroy them.
But my issue with large full range drivers is the inevitable directives. I might revisit the full range topic at a later stage because I like the idea of a single driver and nothing (or very little) between the driver and the amp, and no phase turning x-overs.