Grande 6 - Stereophile "Class C"

portlandlay

« on: 15 Apr 2005, 03:06 am »
I saw in the latest Stereophile that the Grande 6 is rated Class C for in limited LF category.  This is a significant achievement for Omega and specifically Louis.  Congratulations…  Some folks may have a problem with it not being A or B but it is really great to be included.  Other manufactures have used this position to build upon and I bet Omega will also.

kbuzz3

problems??
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2005, 02:22 pm »
Or others may have problems because the think that stereophile has lost its way and thus addition to thier rec list takes omega out of the great small buisness into the mass market bose type. (JUST JOKING)

Great for Louis and I love and reccomend the omegas, but the stereophile list is err a bit lengthy and suspect on a number of fronts...

Bwanagreg

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2005, 03:53 pm »
The classes are intentionally highly correlated with cost, since we all know that the more expensive a product is the better it sounds, right?   :roll:

Making the list is a great achievement Louis! Just don't forget all of us little guys on your climb to the top...   :wink:

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2005, 01:20 am »
Many Thanks and I'm really happy to have the Grande 6s in the recommended components.  

portlandlay, your so right and we'll see where we go from here.

Hi kbuzz3,

I really think that stereophile is more open to new stuff. I originally thought TAS was more so, but not any more. At the Montreal show, I met John Marks and Robert Deutch and they were really nice and asked a lot of questions about the new speakers anmd the Lotus amp.

Hi Bwanagreg.

Your right about the price issue and for sure some politics are involved too. No worries and I'm lucky to be having fun and trying to spread the single driver concept.

Thanks again,
Louis

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2005, 02:04 am »
One can predict with uncanny accuracy which class a product will receive by its price.  The range of price is somewhat broad for these predictions, but one can be 100% sure that something that costs $20,000 will NEVER, EVER be placed in any class less than "A" no matter how sucky it sounds.  We will be lucky if the reviewer even mentions these shortcomings as "caveats" in passing.  

On the same token, a product, say a DAC, that costs $600 will NEVER, EVER be placed in class A no matter how astounding it sounds.  Class B, C are a just a wee bit harder to predict, but they still fall right along the line of general price categories.  Advertising revenues spent by company, various personal/professional relationships between company and reviewer, politics, etc, etc, if known to the reader, will make prediction of these "classes" very, very predictable.  

This thread reminded me how long it's been since I even looked at Stereophile's Rec list, much less pay actual attention to what it says.  I strongly believe I've become a much happier audiophile/music-lover since I've come to rely only on my own ears and ears of those I know well and trust.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2005, 07:26 am »
"...I'm lucky to be having fun and trying to spread the single driver concept."

I'm also lucky to be having fun from enjoying the sound from single drive speakers, especially when partnering with SET amp and vinyl.  :lol: