Info regarding Bryston BP-1 phono section

JS

Info regarding Bryston BP-1 phono section
« on: 22 Oct 2022, 10:05 pm »
Hello, as the title says, I'm interested in info regarding the BP-1.

My Micro Seiki has been stored in its box for countless years.  I'd like to put it back into service providing I can find a replacement belt and scrounge funds for a new cartridge.

To be honest, I haven't the foggiest idea of anything regarding the BP-1.  Tried using Google but came up pretty much empty. :(  One thing for sure is that it's ancient.  The unit was purchased used many years ago for what I had thought was a good price.  Now that I'm seriously thinking about putting the TT back into service, I question whether I should have it serviced by Bryston or try to find something different. 

Thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Should mention my system before anyone asks.

BP-20 pre
7B SST Squard
Maggie 1.7i

stonedeaf

Re: Info regarding Bryston BP-1 phono section
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2022, 11:45 pm »
I've owned ,used and enjoyed a lot of really ancient Bryston equipment -including a couple of their BP-10 preamps and several original model 4B power amps . First off -there's probably a very good chance it will work just fine once you put your BP-1 back into service. These guys have always over built their stuff -well before they went to the current 20 year warranty -they built equipment that was boringly reliable in studio environments for long periods of time. Brystons discrete oppamp idea both sounds great -it's also pretty rugged.Own and enjoy a BP-1.5 -this adds a couple of SUT's to the BP-1 and moves the cap setting switches to the back panel (a feature I really like). It's still one of the best sounding pre-amps I've heard or used. So -look into some MM cartridges appropriate to the arm on your Micro Seiki and be prepared to enjoy vinyl.
Before sending it off to Bryston for a spiffing up -make sure they can service both the Pre-amp and the power supply. They have changed the power supply for these units awhile back,

JS

Re: Info regarding Bryston BP-1 phono section
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2022, 04:42 am »
stonedeaf, thank you for your reply.  I was more or less wondering how the BP-1 compared with the new(er) units sonically.  As for the company itself, I have nothing but high praise for both their products as well as their service.  Had a 4B Pro many years ago until it was sold.  Went directly to a 4B NRB and the BP-20, both units were a year or two old when purchased.  Had both units serviced this past summer.  While they were away, an opportunity came my way on the 7B's.   Debating whether to sell the NRB to help fund another Bryston piece I've been eying.   :drool: