Major acoustic problems.....quick help needed...plzzzz

Christof

I have a mixed media art exhibit opening next weekend and discovered that my room acoustics are a major issue.

Here is the low down:

Located in a bank vault w/ solid concrete walls, floor & ceiling 16' deep x 8' x 8' everything is bare surface inside the vault.

6 min Video presentation through DLP projector onto sculptured fabric screen with music composed to go with the video presentation

Anyone know the most effective way to absorb the standing waves on a very low budget.  I don't care about the quality of the music since it is just a small part of the exhibit but the echo ruins everything.  Thanks for reading this far and any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2005, 05:08 pm »
When it is filled with people is the echo still there?

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2005, 11:27 pm »
Maxcast

Don't know yet, the exhibit is shut off to public until next weekend.  The echo does deminish when two people are in the space.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2005, 04:17 am »
I'd get a couple large 4'x8' panels of 705 that is 1" thick and cover it with some acoustically transparent cloth.  I say 705 as it's a good stiff board and will absorb lots of echo/reverb in that small room.

Hang them sideways along the side walls to cut down on the echo in the room...that should work out great. Even one panel along one wall will sound better.  Maybe stagger their placement in the room so they aren't mirror images..have one closer to the front and one closer to the back.

This is not to treat for bass problems in the room though...only to cut down on the "chatter echo"† in that space.

"Chatter echo" is people talking and being annoying while there is something important happening.  Not a scientific thing really.