Has anyone built a sealed sub array?

NoahH

Has anyone built a sealed sub array?
« on: 11 Oct 2022, 01:36 pm »
I was looking at my 12 driver OB sub array last night enjoying how low the excursion is - you can barely see the drivers move.

It made me realize that sealed subs with that little excursion could be basically as fast as these are when they don't have a meaningful amount of excursion needed. REL, of course, endorses this, and I love the S/812s I have in my other system A LOT but $36k for a 12 driver array is a bit rich.

Has anyone tried building a giant single or multi cavity sub enclosure with 4+ drivers?

dallaire1

Re: Has anyone built a sealed sub array?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2022, 02:50 pm »
I'm definitely considering it.

dallaire1

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2022, 02:50 pm »
Do you mind me asking why you would even consider going to sealed route?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2022, 04:46 pm »
I was looking at my 12 driver OB sub array last night enjoying how low the excursion is - you can barely see the drivers move.

It made me realize that sealed subs with that little excursion could be basically as fast as these are when they don't have a meaningful amount of excursion needed. REL, of course, endorses this, and I love the S/812s I have in my other system A LOT but $36k for a 12 driver array is a bit rich.

Has anyone tried building a giant single or multi cavity sub enclosure with 4+ drivers?

The Qts of the sealed servo subs and the open baffle servo subs are basically the same. So they both have the same ability and control when it comes to settling.

With any woofer the less it moves the faster it settles. So there is always an advantage in using a lot of drivers.

We had an 8 ohm woofer for sealed boxes that allowed a pair of them to be used with the A370 amps or four of them to be used with the HX800 amps. We didn't move them that fast though so I never had more of them made.

Chops

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2022, 02:52 am »

Infinity did this many many moons ago with the IRS V, as well as the Genesis 1.2... There were also a few "smaller" models with four 12's per channel, and even multiple smaller woofers in other models.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2022, 04:22 am »
REL is still building sealed sub arrays. I use 1 REL sealed sub, the output is amazing.
A 6-Pack would be all you need for a huge room. An 8-Pack would be for David Geffen Hall.
https://www.tonepublications.com/review/relno25sixpack/