Chibi Dac

albee

Chibi Dac
« on: 13 Apr 2005, 02:35 pm »
Would the Nixon $250 Chibi dac be worth the money?  I'm looking to use it with a dvd player (2 channel set up) or possibly my aging cd player which uses twin burr-brown 20-bit'ers.  It's my understanding that non-oversampling dacs pretty much take care of jitter and possibly I might notice that with my 4 year old cd player.

Any thoughts out there?

Hantra

Re: Chibi Dac
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2005, 10:30 pm »
Quote from: albee
Would the Nixon $250 Chibi dac be worth the money?  I'm looking to use it with a dvd player (2 channel set up) or possibly my aging cd player which uses twin burr-brown 20-bit'ers.  It's my understanding that non-oversampling dacs pretty much take care of jitter and possibly I might notice that with my 4 year old cd player.

Any thoughts out there?

Well I haven't heard the Chibi DAC, but I have owned the TubeDAC, and now am using an old school DacKit.  I can wholeheartedly recommend either of these and can say that they are some of the best DACs one can buy at any price.  You really have to spend an awful lot of money to better the ones I have heard.

HTH,

B

KT

Chibi Dac
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2005, 12:53 am »
Hanta,

Glad you're enjoying your dacs.

I have an old-school DacKit, as well, and I also have a TubeDac+ board that I have yet to assemble into a working unit.

I love the DacKit so far. Could you comment on the difference in sound between the two?

Thanks,
KT

Hantra

Chibi Dac
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2005, 12:58 am »
Quote from: KT

I love the DacKit so far. Could you comment on the difference in sound between the two?

Thanks,
KT

Well. . .  I am amazed by both.  I think the TubeDAC might impart a bit more magic on the sound.  It's that last little bit of round dimensionality to the sound.  Don't get me wrong. . . I am using the old school one right now and loving it.  I'd like to go back to the TubeDAC though when I can.  It's what I'm used to, and I think it's absolutely worth the price difference.

HTH,

B