TAKEN! FREE To Good Home: Non-working Modwright Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray Player

strateahed

TAKEN. Player is no longer available.

I saw another post like this and thought it was a good idea. Hope I’m not overstepping bounds or breaking any rules/protocol. But instead of giving this player away at the next neighborhood e-waste drive, perhaps someone with technical skills and/or know-how can get this thing working again.

Price: $0  (Pay for Shipping Only)

A while back it first started misreading disc types, mostly when SACD was loaded. It was serviced for that issue prior to Oppo getting out of the disc player business. The issue resurfaced, but the disc could be read and played with multiple load, re-load attempts. It was intermittent, a bit annoying, but a livable situation nonetheless. It eventually stopped working altogether. The drawer wouldn’t open and when it loaded, it registered “Unknown” disc type. That was it.

These days, I mostly stream and have since moved on to Oppo 105, while this unit sat idle. I’m in the process of clearing out garage space. So if someone wants to take it on, it is yours for the asking. Just pay for ground shipping to your location. It will be shipped in original box along with original packing materials (see photos). No remote.  Ship weight is 18 lbs. 

At the time, the analog only mod was $1,150. As an incentive, here’s part of an email message Dan sent when I was looking to replace my Sony with a more all-in-one HT/2-channel solution:

The stock Oppo-BDP-83 (not SE) will give you a VERY musical sound after our mods.  It is not fatiguing or bright at all. Midrange is sweet smooth and natural and bass response is deep, tight and well refined.  The highs are also very extended and natural.  I tend to be conservative in my assessments as I don't want to sell a customer something that they will not ultimately be pleased with.  Having said that, I DO believe that you will be very pleased with the Oppo BDP-83 with our mods and that it WILL better the stock Sony 5400ES.

Thanks,

Dan W.

If interested, please PM me to make shipping arrangements. I only ask that you exercise a little patience in getting this shipped out to you. Thanks in advance for your cooperation. 

P.S. - Please check out my other post running for Channel Islands D-200 monoblock amps.
And NO, those are not free, but selling at a good price.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183365.msg1925268#msg1925268

« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2022, 06:58 pm by strateahed »

billmcc

I'll gladly take it. PM sent.

billmcc

The Modwright 83 arrived in fine shape. I wanted to thank Strateahed for his kindness of gifting the player to me. It was a real pleasure dealing with him. Buy or sell with him without hesitation! Thanks again much appreciated!

Rocket

Hi,

Have you taken it to a technician yet? It would be great to get this working again.

Cheers Rod

billmcc

Hi,

Have you taken it to a technician yet? It would be great to get this working again.

Cheers Rod
Hi Rod,

No technician needed :). Below are quotes from several posts from the Steve Hoffman forum...

The Modwright 83 arrived today and sure enough it would not read any discs. I opened up the disc drive and cleaned the lens(s) but that didn't work. It kept showing "unknown disc" on the display. I have an 83 that's been in storage for quite awhile that's in great shape. So I figured why not try to figure out how to remove the defective disc drive and replace it from the working 83. Surprisingly it wasn't that hard to remove and replace.

Once everything was swapped out the Modwright 83 works fine now reading CDs, Blu-rays, DVD-As and SACDs. I had even ordered a new faceplate and disc drawer cover from Oppo as the one I had was damaged when it was shipped. So I swapped the new faceplate and disc drawer cover over to the Modwright 83. Now I have a like new Modwright 83 for just the cost of shipping. Looking forward to listening to it tomorrow!

I've had a chance this morning to compare the Modwright 83 to my Marantz SA-KI Ruby. I have to get into this further but playing a few Patricia Barber SACDs (Cafe' Blue Unmastered and Verse) the SQ of the Modwright 83 is very close to the SA-KI Ruby. I have two copies of the PB's Modern Cool SACD. Later today I'll load the SACDs in both players and then do a more direct A-B comparison. The overall SQ of the Modwright 83 has excellent bass weight, midrange, detailed high end without being bright and a deep and wide soundstage. Very nice!