BP17cubed with DAC option vs. BDA3

spartana

BP17cubed with DAC option vs. BDA3
« on: 28 Aug 2022, 09:21 pm »
Hi,
One thing I am really curious about: did anybody here ever compare a BP17cubed with built-in Dac option vs BP17cubed with external BDA3?

Clearly the number of inputs is very different but assuming that was irrelevant - how do both variants compare sonically?

Any insights appreciated!

Would also be great to read what Bryston thinks in this regard.

Thanks!

mr_bill

Re: BP17cubed with DAC option vs. BDA3
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2022, 09:31 pm »
Check out the follow up BP 17 cubed review in Stereophile. I think there is some mention of comparison to bda3 but not sure. One input you do miss is the usb if that matters.

spartana

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2022, 09:35 pm »
Thanks. I read that additional review. Indeed it was said zhat with PCM files according to the reviewers opinion the sound was comparable. But I could not figure out if the reviewer just remembered the BDA3 from an earlier review or if he had one available for a direct comparison.

spartana

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2022, 01:50 am »
james, what is your take on this topic? does bda3 with bp173 as separate components sound better than bp173 with built in dac option?

in addition to the br20, i'm considering another preamplifier that should have a few digital sources in addition to analog sources. I don't want to give away any sound here, but I definitely do not need more inputs than the built-in dac option.

purely from a sound quality perspective in this case: are the separates here better?

e.g. the built-in option isn't exactly the same, is it? It only has one akm chip, not two, etc.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2022, 11:34 am »
Hi - correct the computing power and independent circuit paths are performance features the built in DAC's do not offer.
The big difference with the BR20 is it is a fully balanced design and optimizes every performance aspect of digital and analog playback.

james

spartana

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2022, 11:45 am »
Hi - correct the computing power and independent circuit paths are performance features the built in DAC's do not offer.
The big difference with the BR20 is it is a fully balanced design and optimizes every performance aspect of digital and analog playback.

james

James, thanks. Allow me to ask more specifically: does the built-in dac option in BP173 sound less good than having a separate BDA3, using SPDiF?

Sorry for asking again :-)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2022, 01:31 pm »
It should be very close assuming you feel SPDIF is the equal of other kinds of inputs.

james

spartana

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2022, 01:43 pm »
It should be very close assuming you feel SPDIF is the equal of other kinds of inputs.

james

Thanks!

My streamer offers SPDIF only but also contains a Dirac license. Hence using another streamer is not an option. Got some ugly room-modes to compensate...

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2022, 12:44 am »
With the BDA3, you get the benefits of a balanced digital input, an HDMI input, and its own power supply.

spartana

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2022, 05:25 am »
With the BDA3, you get the benefits of a balanced digital input, an HDMI input, and its own power supply.

You mean balanced as in AES/EBU?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2022, 11:56 am »
You mean balanced as in AES/EBU?

Correct but Balanced throughout all the circuitry including the analog section.

james

spartana

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2022, 01:24 pm »
Correct but Balanced throughout all the circuitry including the analog section.

james

Ah, ok. I guess that is also why the dac option in BP17 cubed has only one AKM chip? BP17cubed is single ended inside.