X voce flat pack plans

peteschmitz

X voce flat pack plans
« on: 22 Aug 2022, 12:14 am »
I didnt receive the build plans with my flat pack. Can anyone post message or email them to me?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: X voce flat pack plans
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2022, 04:24 pm »
There aren't really any "build/assembly plans" for flatpack but here is the link for the cabinet plans.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qpbZ6H37c1arP5bPgINhPuCvX71d1kY0/view

They are a little different from the flatpack, but overall construction will be very similar.
The main thing to keep in mind is that there are two side panels with holes cut into them. Those holes are the inside panels to allow wire to pass from the crossover in the left sealed cabinet to the other drivers in the middle and right side.

The best thing to do is to look at the pictures on the cabinet plans and the picture of the one on the website:
https://i0.wp.com/gr-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/X-CS-Encore-FP-1.png?fit=1000%2C1000&ssl=1

and then use it to dry fit things together before gluing it together.

if you have any questions about where certain things/panels go feel free to respond below.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2022, 05:25 pm »
Make sure when you dry fit that the front baffle sits flush with the sealed boxes. Mine was close without glue, but left enough lip to hang a nail all the way around with the glue taking up space in the gap. I should have tried to make adjustments prior to glue up, because I didnt go a great job of fixing the issue afterwards.

It would be better if there was enough leeway in the dimensions where the sides and tops would overhang the baffle and back, where you could just run a flush trim after glue up and have a perfect fit. I just put a finish over the MDF so it didnt cause any real issues for me (largely since I acknowledge that although its not a perfect cabinet, it turned out better than what I would have made myself), but if you are going to try and veneer the baffle be sure you are happy with the fitment before you start gluing.

You will also have to add a strip of wood at the top of the front baffle between the boxes as the baffle isnt full width there, unless you are adding another layer over the front baffle. I had some issues with my strip soaking up too much shellac during finishing, so use caution there as well.

peteschmitz

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2022, 02:57 am »
Thanks so much for the respones. Answered so many questions. This is my first DIY so I appreciate the help. I just have a couple more questions. First, not a question- but I see the xover is now relocated to behind the tweeter, having it on the left would create weight imbalance. First question- I ordered all the cap upgrades; I thought they would be already on the xover- no worries as I am an electronics tech but I take it I have to install them on the xover myself? I have all the solder/desolder stations so not an issue. Second question- is anyone using insulation in the woofers and if so what and how much? Thanks.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2022, 01:57 pm »
I intend on keeping the crossover inside the left hand sealed box. Unless you special ordered it, the back of that box will have either holes for tube connectors or for a binding post, so unless you want to see the crossover for aesthetic reasons I would just put it inside the box. The pass through holes in the inside walls of the boxes are sized appropriately for that orientation also, larger on the left and smaller on the right.

When I emailed with Danny previously about the x voce, he indicated that some polyfill in the sealed boxes is advised as it helps to extend the response as stuffing any sealed cabinet will. Those woofers arent playing above 200hz, so there is no need for no-rez or similar as the frequencies in play cant be absorbed by some foam.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2022, 03:35 pm »
Those woofers arent playing above 200hz, so there is no need for no-rez or similar as the frequencies in play cant be absorbed by some foam.

No Rez isn’t just foam.  And it is beneficial in the woofer cabinets of X-Voce.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2022, 04:06 pm »
Please dont get all defensive about no rez. Its foam with a backer, and I happily installed it in my encore cabinets and am pleased with my choice. The level of vitriol around here after all the call out videos and ASR snafu is getting a little much for me.

I pasted a screenshot of Dannys reply to my inquiry about whether I needed to order No Rez for this project below. A 200hz tone has a 5 ft wavelength...