using 802.11G to stream video

lcrim

« on: 10 Apr 2005, 04:57 pm »
Is there an equivalent device to Squeezebox that would allow video captures to be streamed via WiFi from the PC to a display.  I am thinking about a central server which can store video in a Tivo like fashion from satellite or OTA sources, allowing time shifting etc. but can then be streamed to the display.
I didn't want to ask over on AVS forum because I don't understand all the acronyms.

PhilNYC

« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2005, 04:59 pm »
The Roku Photobridge can do MPEG-2 video...

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/features.php

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2005, 06:17 pm »
thanks Phil  
Roku, at least presently can only utilize 802.11B.  
MPEG4 and DIVX also seem essential but Soundbridge is a possible.

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2005, 08:04 pm »
Quote from: lcrim

Roku, at least presently can only utilize 802.11B.  .

I traded emails with Roku customer service once, and they told me that if you put in an 802.11G CF card, it "should" work...it hasn't been officially blessed by Roku's QA department, tho...

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2005, 08:35 pm »
You can run an 802.11g bridge into the Roku's wired ethernet port to get the higher speed....

You would still need a solution to record/encode the video.

The Roku should be fine for playback though.

Digicam pictures look really good on an HDTV through the Roku.

lcrim

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2005, 09:18 pm »
Brad:
Apparently Media Center Edition of Windows XP allows video capture through a video capture card.  Unfortunately Microsoft won't sell you just the OS, you need to buy the hardware platform and the OS preloaded from one of their business partners.  A software called Sage TV also exists to do this with and you can load that on your own hardware Their web site-http://www.sage.tv/

The idea of being able to time shift HDTV,mixed with ripped DVD and  streaming it as well as music or photograghs is the reason for MCE.  I'm going to do more research but it doesn't seem ready for prime time even though there are guys already doing this.

Brad

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2005, 09:24 pm »
My Hidef Tivo has a coupla USB ports on the back of it "reserved for future use"
I would think streaming/data transfer might be one of the future uses.

You can actually order Media Center edition OEM now
I also got a copy through our MS Partner program, but haven't had a chance to do anything with it.  The HDTV capture cards appear to be pretty tweaky, too.

I played around with a HTPC - never could get the Windows desktop to look even decent on my HDTV, even with the Radeon HDTV adapter.