One sub or 2 subs ?

oris98

One sub or 2 subs ?
« on: 9 Apr 2005, 10:25 pm »
Hi all,

I am newbie to subwoofer configuration.  I hope someone can answer my questions and guide me to the right direction.

I am currently biamping the Norh marble 9s with a pair of Dennis Murphy designned passive xo (splitted HF and LF).  I want to introduce subwoofer(s) into the 2 channel setting to add some warmth and mid base improvemnt.  If I go to the route of active xo (3way HF, MF and LF) do I need a pair of subs for stereo configuration ?  or I can go with 1 sub ?  I don't need very loud volume in my 17x17 room.  I just want to filer out all the LF and leave the main woofer more room for mid range by leaving all the LF to the Force(s) or Titan(s).   Any comments ?  
Thank you in advance..

GHM

One sub or 2 subs ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2005, 01:25 am »
If you have the patience to set them up..two good subs in stereo will always out perform one sub in mono. No matter how much the mono sub cost. It looks like your right on the money..it will add more fullness and a feeling of warmth to a setup. I know some think the lower frequencies have less effect on the music. An easy way to prove them wrong is to play the system with the subs integrated through a couple of songs(without telling them). Then turn the subs off. It will be like the soundstage shrank and the bottom dropped out.

The other benefit of this is low level listening. Most passive multi driver full range speakers lose their bass as you decrease the volume. With subs you can compensate and still get that low end grunt at lower listening levels.

MaxCast

One sub or 2 subs ?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2005, 01:39 am »
Two subs are great but as mentioned, they take a bit to set up and adjust properly.  I've ran my speakers full range and brought in the subs under  them, but I prefer an active xo between the subs and mains.  The mid bass is right where I noticed the first improvement.

Harry P

One sub or 2 subs ?
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2005, 11:14 pm »
A pair of stereo Force works extremely well for me. When I experiment with running them in stacked mono vs. true stereo (crossed at around 85 hz with passive filters) I feel I lose just a bit of soundstage size.

Rich Carlson

One sub or 2 subs ?
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2005, 12:45 am »
Agreed - moving from one Titan to a stereo pair was a major step up for me. I guess I'm lucky; setting them up wasn't too hard.