'Sahara'--what a disappointment!

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« on: 9 Apr 2005, 04:08 pm »
Saw it yesterday.  Being a rabid Clive Cussler fan, I should have realized before yesterday morn that  this movie is based on Cussler's book.

I understand Cussler was so unhappy with what Hollywood did with 'Raise the Titanic' that he swore never to sell another one.  I'll be he's angry enough to sue them this time!

If one is not a Cussler fan, I suppose 'Sahara' is an OK action-adventure pic.  If one IS a Cussler fan, 'Sahara' is a horrible disappointment.  Pitt and Giordano are fun-loving, bumbling fools who get lucky often, Gunn is simply a dumb-shit geek, and Sandecker is little more than a blustering boss.  Penelope Cruz as the doc is nice to look at but does NOT save this mess.

On my 5-star scale, I give this one 1-1/2, that is, poor-to-fair.

Maybe Cussler will do it himself next time.  Or maybe the money and creative people who did 'We Were Soldiers' could do justice to one?!?!

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2005, 05:39 pm »
Sad to hear that Hollywod screwed it up again. Raise The Titanic was pretty awful and I had better hopes for Sahara although the trailers didn't leave a good impression. I might see it anyway as my wife works for one of the theater chains and it won't cost me anything.

Like you I am a fan of Cusslers writing and have pretty high expectations for a film version. Bummer.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2005, 05:47 pm »
Hey Guys:
  Have you seen Sahara with Humphrey Bogart as a tank commander in WWII. Pretty darn good movie. See it and you'll forget about the new sahara.

Cheers
                                    Charlie

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2005, 06:20 pm »
You're right, Charles, that is a fine film.

Unfortunately, 2005's 'Sahara' is so bad it'll take months for me to forget it.

Johng316

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2005, 02:32 pm »
Wow, what horrible news.

I did  not realize this was a Cussler adaptation, otherwise I would've hustled to see it on opening day.  I'm a huge Cussler fan.

How disappointing.  I haven't yet seen the film, but this short review is not encouraging to fans of the amazing Dirk Pitt.

I've been mulling this over, though:

Which actor would you cast as Dirk Pitt if you were directing?

I always thought a craggy yet smart Mel Gibson would be fantastic.

John

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2005, 09:14 pm »
I actually liked Jim Bulushi's remake of Sahara pretty well, too.  Not that he's a suitable substitute for Bogey! :o  :nono:

rosconey

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2005, 10:18 pm »
saw on tv the writer (cussler) is sueing the maker-he is very pissed off-

Johng316

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2005, 02:01 pm »
Well, I took my two sons (my oldest is a huge Pitt fan) to see Sahara last night.  While I can understand why Cussler might be frustrated, I'll step out and say....

I enjoyed this film!  MM did a surprisingly credible job of playing Pitt.

I will buy this one when it hits DVD and re-watch many times and be entertained.  It's light and fun.  Pitt is a fantastic character that needs more development, though.  Some of his ingenuity made it through in the film.

Question:  Does the guy who plays Rudy Gunn also play one of the office geeks on The Office?

John

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2005, 06:59 pm »
Quote from: Johng316
Question:  Does the guy who plays Rudy Gunn also play one of the office geeks on The Office?

Looks like it (have never seen any of The Office) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0933988/