Looking for some 'new' music,jazz oriented,but with some 'heaviness' thrown in.

Huck

Hi:
 I am looking for some  'new' music to listen to and I was thinking Spyro Gyra type,but something a little 'heavier'...watcha got?. :popcorn:Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2022, 05:03 pm by Huck »

rockadanny

Try Weather Report - Black Market, and also Heavy Weather 

rockadanny

And for something really heavy, try Elephant9, "Dodovoodoo" (pun intended)  :lol:

Huck

And for something really heavy, try Elephant9, "Dodovoodoo" (pun intended)  :lol:

Thanks...keep'em comin 8)'.Huck

rockadanny

OK .... Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Inner Mounting Flame

Huck

OK .... Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Inner Mounting Flame

Thanks a lot! I think that's enough for now...I appreciate it! Huck

rockadanny

Yog Sothoth

You might try Focus.  Live at the Rainbow is pretty good.

timind

• permanent vacation
For something less than 40-years-old, try Hiromi - Alive, or any of her albums featuring her trio. Lot's of fun listening there.

Yog Sothoth

For something less than 40-years-old, try Hiromi - Alive, or any of her albums featuring her trio. Lot's of fun listening there.

I know I shall check it out!

VinceT

When I think of the term heavy, I think more of rock

Is that what you are after? Then I'd say listen to Rush

If we are sticking to jazz,  anything jazz Fusion or progressive rock. Lots of good suggestions so far. I'd add Brecker Brothers, Billy Cobham, Deodato, Return to Forever, George Duke..

simoon

I completely agree with Mahavishnu Orchestra as a great example from the 70's!

Any of their recordings from their debut, Inner Mounting Flame through Visions of the Emerald Beyond are all heavy, intense, and fiery, with chops from hell. Also included, is the recording, The Lost Trident Sessions, which was recorded right after (1973) Birds of Fire, but for some reason, some of the band was not happy with the recording, so it was shelved. The master tapes were rediscovered in 1999, and finally released. Not sure what some band members were unhappy about, because it is every bit as good as their other recordings.

As others have stated, jazz-fusion of the 70's in general was pretty heavy, and intense overall.

Here are some of the better known 70's bands:

Return to Forever - Where Have I known You Before, No Mystery, Romantic Warrior
Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior, Moroccan Roll, Masques, Product
Iceberg - Coses Nostres, Sentiments
Al Di Meola - Land of the Midnight Sun, Elegant Gypsy
Pierre Moerlin's Gong - Gazuese, Expresso II
Bruford - Feels Good To Me, One of a Kind
Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean, Imaginary Voyage
Soft Machine - Bundles

In the 80's, for the most part, what fusion became, was pretty wimpy and mellow. It was the beginning of (cringe) 'smooth jazz'.

Allan Holdsworth, Tribal Tech from the US, Kenso from Japan, were a  couple of notable exceptions.

Then, in the mid 90's (up through the present), heavy, intense fusion made a comeback:

Scott McGill's Hand Farm
McGill/Manring/Stevens
Uncle Moe's Space Ranch
D.F.A (from Italy)
T.R.A.M
Alex Machacek (Austria)
Panzerrballett (Germany)
Forgas Band Phenomena (France)
Spaced Out (Canada)
Richard Hallebeek

There is also a relatively new subgenre, called metal-fusion, which as the name implies, is taking the intense, heaviness of fusion, but adds crunchy guitars, blast beats, and an overall feeling of metal. Usually this subgenre is played with ridiculous levels of musicianship, tends to be in complex time signatures, and is surely heavy.

Planet X
Panzerballett
Counter-World Experience
7 for 4
Exivious
Animals as Leaders
Art Metal
Diablo Swing Orchestra

simoon

Hiromi is great!

But there is plenty of intense jazz and fusion from less than 40 years ago.

See my post above.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Straight forward intense jazz look at Coltrane's Giant Steps album.

Jazz Fusion I also recommend Return To Forever. Later stuff is kinda  meh but earlier stuff is awesome.

Modern jazz look at some of the new London jazz scene like Moses Boyd or GoGo Penguin

Jazz covers of rock songs look at Brad Meldhau or The Bad Plus

More on the jazz arranged actual heavy music I would second the recommendation for Animals As Leaders but also add Polyphia. Those all really are jazz infused math metal but you still get a lot of the complex arrangement and layering that jazz is built around.

LedZep

I can suggest Vital Tech Tones and Get the Blessing. Their recordings’ sound quality are good as well

Huck

My thanks to all who commented and gave suggestions.
Maybe I don't really know if what I am looking for actually exists.
Way back when I was younger,there were basically four types or genres of music..country,rock,jazz and classical...now there are so many genres,I can't keep up.
I know what I am NOT looking for and that's the 'old style' jazz, example: Buddy Rich,Gene Krupa,etc...that is not what I am looking for.
Rush to me sounds more 'Rock' than jazz.
I like a little sax thrown in and maybe some xylophone (Spyro Gyra)...maybe the genre I am looking for does not exist,but I have Amazon Unlimited,so I can try whatever titles,or genres and if I like the sound (musicianship and quality) enough,I MAY buy the CD. :scratch:Thanks,Huck

Yog Sothoth

Two more thoughts  came to mind:  Miles Davis'  albums Agharta and Pangea.  They are pretty amazing, a combination of jazz, rock, and funk.  It can be pretty heavy at times.

But keep searching!  As you say, there's such a wide variety of music out there now.  You're bound to find something that fits, and the journey is half the fun!

Doublej

Check out Odeon Pope.

Also check out www.allmusic.com. You can see an artist's styles and similar (related?) musicians.

Huck

Check out Odeon Pope.

Also check out www.allmusic.com. You can see an artist's styles and similar (related?) musicians.

Yeah...Amazon Unlimited does the same thing.Huck