Size of acoustic panel : 2'x4' or 2'x2' ?

michaelv

Size of acoustic panel : 2'x4' or 2'x2' ?
« on: 8 Apr 2005, 06:11 pm »
Hi,
  Please bear with me if i ask the question that might have been asked as i search the forum but i couldn't find the answer.

I see that most of you have made acoustic panel or attach acoustic foam together for a panel of size 2'x4'. Is this a must size to build a panel to reduce the first reflection point? Can i use 2'x2'  or 2'x3' instead? The reason I'm asking because:
    1> I want create several blocks of 2'x2' (athestic reason) or mix of 2'x2' and 2'x3'

2> Since i've already had acoutic foam from foambymail.com, i want to create a few more panels by glueing 2 or 3 acoustic ceiling tiles (from Homedepot or Lowes : brand is Amstrong) together and cover them with burlap i got from Walmart for another section of hometheater and my 2-channel room.  I see ascoutic ceiling tile of size 2'x4' as well but stacking them with that size will cause the panel heavy to hang.
     I mostly pay attention to mid/high first . Therefore , are 2 or 3 of acoustic ceiling tiles good enough?

thanks.

gravy

• -Scott
Re: Size of acoustic panel : 2'x4' or 2'x2' ?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2005, 09:49 pm »
Quote from: michaelv
Hi,
  Please bear with me if i ask the question that might have been asked as i search the forum but i couldn't find the answer.

I see that most of you have made acoustic panel or attach acoustic foam together for a panel of size 2'x4'. Is this a must size to build a panel to reduce the first reflection point? Can i use 2'x2'  or 2'x3' instead?

I'll defer to the experts, but I went with 2x2's as well, with bevelled edge which gave a simple, clean look.

Its kind of hard to tell in my pic.. but those are all individual 2x2 panels, which I just nail-gunned together to ease hanging.  

http://www.mts.net/~smaclenn/theater/Theater2.jpg