Discontinued and Refurb Store Question?

smallies

Re: Discontinued and Refurb Store Question?
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jun 2022, 06:36 pm »
You can have my faceplate, I'd prefer an unmarked box of junk, keep stealthy.

BigGeek

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2022, 02:14 pm »
Doesn't Audiogon already Exist for North Americans?

smallies

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2022, 08:22 pm »
Banned because I said "fluoride" (in regard to beer).

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #23 on: 6 Jun 2022, 01:51 pm »
Only if it saves huge money!!

Testsystems

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jun 2022, 03:19 pm »
Hi James,

I think that is a very BAD IDEA! I cant imaging you have too much dent and scratch product.  The temptation will be to just discount factory sales, and cannibalise the dealer network.

To me the real question to be answered is why does the Bryston Brand have such a poor representation at authorised dealerships.  I live in Southern Ontario where you would think Bryston would be front and centre.  Last week I visited a Toronto flag ship store on Bay St. with an immense marketing budget.  I had to search out the Bryston gear. It was lost in a sea of competing mid fi products.  Yet speakers from Montreal where everywhere.  There must be a reason.  In KW the local authorised dealer doesn't even try to sell Bryston, even when engaged in conversation.    Perhaps joint promotions with dealers to move discontinued product or what was called B Stock in the day maybe a more profitable solution.  I would be asking the dealers what they need to sell more gear.  Perhaps a sliding cost structure or rebate based on quarterly sales.   Some incentive!  They can take trades and move out the used equipment quite successfully when motivated. 

Or and its a BIG question.  Abandon the dealer network and offer all your equipment direct.  That would require a substantial change to your marketing budget / method but in the end it may well be the future.  Me I am not sure I would have the courage to pull the pin quite yet.  With almost 50 years invested in dealerships I would be trying to mend the fence rather than tearing it down.  Perhaps that discussion is best made in private.

Loyal Bryston customer for over 44 years because of its superb engineering...... and sound!

Cheers Drew

zoom25

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jun 2022, 09:30 pm »
Regarding dealership representation, I've had mixed experiences with dealers where Bryston has been shown here in GTA. Places like Trutone have no issues with Bryston. Other places barely mentioned the Bryston and instead opted to steed toward other brands.

Going direct online ONLY like Emotiva or others is also something to explore, especially if it can get better prices for customers.

However, if Bryston went online only without dealerships promoting to their 'audiophile' customers, I think it'd be good to have some more accessible products (both in terms of pricing and features) to attract a wider audience.

drummermitchell

« Reply #26 on: 6 Jun 2022, 11:30 pm »
The way I see Bryston dealers and they sell other high end gear is.......
The reason they don’t mention Bryston is say they sell Audio research as well or Lamm,Vac ect.
If they The know the buyer has some money do you think they try to sell something cheaper than some other brands(Not happening) unless no other choice as it’s called Commission.
Years ago I auditioned a bcd1 and Arc cd3 I believe is the name,preferred the Bryston on audition.
If a sales guy can make say 300 extra say for a Bryston or 1000 for Arc  or Vac.
I think he will try to fish for the higher price.
LOL,I even had an experience where the sales guy dropped our conversation when a customer came in wearing a suit and tie.
And I had been buying there for awhile.
A walked out to the parking lot and the sales guy came out  and I told him WTF.
Alls he did was apologize.
It’s all about the money you know.
19,000 preamp or say 4500 preamp
If I was a salesman I’d go for the 19000
Nice commission.

zoom25

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2022, 11:52 pm »
The way I see Bryston dealers and they sell other high end gear is.......
The reason they don’t mention Bryston is say they sell Audio research as well or Lamm,Vac ect.
If they The know the buyer has some money do you think they try to sell something cheaper than some other brands(Not happening) unless no other choice as it’s called Commission.
Years ago I auditioned a bcd1 and Arc cd3 I believe is the name,preferred the Bryston on audition.
If a sales guy can make say 300 extra say for a Bryston or 1000 for Arc  or Vac.
I think he will try to fish for the higher price.
LOL,I even had an experience where the sales guy dropped our conversation when a customer came in wearing a suit and tie.
And I had been buying there for awhile.
A walked out to the parking lot and the sales guy came out  and I told him WTF.
Alls he did was apologize.
It’s all about the money you know.
19,000 preamp or say 4500 preamp
If I was a salesman I’d go for the 19000
Nice commission.

Yup, this is absolutely true. Back when I auditioned the BDA-2 for the first time, they were pushing the more expensive Arcam D33 or the more expensive PS Audio stuff. The few places where I've actually felt treated properly, I've actually bought from them. Other (most in my experience) audiophile places can sometimes be so of putting that I've never gone back to them again, even though they carry the gear and can potentially audition stuff there. I'd rather order stuff blind or used vs. going back to those places. Going to their place to audition stuff feels like they are doing you the favour of a lifetime. The more expensive stuff and bigger commission stuff they'll have no problem setting up gear to audition. If you mention other brands where they won't make that much, the face they'll make at you feels like you committed some crime. One time, I was told in the middle of an audition because I suggested another brand to try that they weren't pushing "sorry, we don't have much time today, you can come back another day and maybe we can set it up........I was the only one in the store and it was nowhere near closing time."  :lol: Never went there again.

Thankfully, I'm not in a 'NEED' for more audio gear. Maybe, I'll upgrade some gear later on. However, I don't know if I'll bother with dealers and such. I've been so put off with them, that I'd rather buy used to audition instead. If I like it, I'll keep it. If I don't like it, sell it for little to no loss.

Rod_S

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jun 2022, 12:37 am »
Another thing about dealers that no-one has mentioned is it appears to be their discretion whether they allow trade-ins. Over the years I have seen customers mention how their dealers allow trade-ins and the customers over years continue to upgrade due to generous dealer trade in allowances. This unfortunately is something my Bryston dealer has absolutely no interest in. So unless there was a Bryston program behind the scenes stipulating dealers must allow trade-ins and the trade-in price is controlled by Bryston to prevent dealers from giving well below street value then this puts the customer at an extreme disadvantage because it then comes down to where you live and who your dealer is that determines if you can trade in and how much you get. Not fair for the customer as all customers no matter the region, province, state etc. should be getting the same price for the same piece of gear.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jun 2022, 06:25 pm »
Bryston manufactures high end audio equipment and let's just hope, that "Refurb Store" project, somehow won't damage company's quality and most importly, the reputation.That job should be done by electronic store, at the time of the purchase of your new gear.That's my humble opinion.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #30 on: 7 Jun 2022, 08:22 pm »
I don't see why not.
If it's a used item they'll check it over and I would think there would be some sort of a limited warranty.
Scratch and dent, lots of people care if their rectangular box has a blemish on it.

gbaby

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jun 2022, 08:01 pm »

Or and its a BIG question.  Abandon the dealer network and offer all your equipment direct...

Cheers Drew

The more I think about it, the better your suggestion sounds. Every time I had an issue with a Bryaton product under warranty, I dealt with Bryston, not a dealer. So.......

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jun 2022, 08:42 pm »
The more I think about it, the better your suggestion sounds. Every time I had an issue with a Bryston product under warranty, I dealt with Bryston, not a dealer. So.......

It depends, where you buy from?I bought my Bryston gear at Natural Sound in Kitchener, Ontario.Very dedicated and knowledgeable personel and most important for me, NOT PUSHY.When I had an issue with my BP-17³, I received a loaner, until my preamp arrived.Later on, I received help with setting up URC MX-990.Store also has a used gear section, but I sold my old Arcam gear online.

gbaby

« Reply #33 on: 8 Jun 2022, 11:05 pm »

It depends, where you buy from?I bought my Bryston gear at Natural Sound in Kitchener, Ontario.Very dedicated and knowledgeable personel and most important for me, NOT PUSHY.When I had an issue with my BP-17³, I received a loaner, until my preamp arrived.Later on, I received help with setting up URC MX-990.Store also has a used gear section, but I sold my old Arcam gear online.

Sorry, but I purchased my Bryston gear from several knowledgeable dealers and they were knowledgeable and had dedicated personnel. But as I stated, when I had issues, I dealt directly with Chris, Stan or James from Bryson. I like this method, however, as when I had issues with my Arcam AV-9, I had to ship it to a dealer who shipped it to the factory which takes longer. I have never had issues dealing with Bryston direct.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #34 on: 9 Jun 2022, 12:30 am »
Sorry, but I purchased my Bryston gear from several knowledgeable dealers and they were knowledgeable and had dedicated personnel. But as I stated, when I had issues, I dealt directly with Chris, Stan or James from Bryson. I like this method, however, as when I had issues with my Arcam AV-9, I had to ship it to a dealer who shipped it to the factory which takes longer. I have never had issues dealing with Bryston direct.

Perhaps, I misunderstood you.I thought I should bring it to the store, where I purchased it and where I have warranty.Anyway, I hope I did not insult anybody here.If I did, I do apalogize.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #35 on: 9 Jun 2022, 03:31 pm »
Nah.  I enjoy a healthy relationship with my local dealer, where I can usually demo gear before I buy.  He helps me out on pricing and return shipping whenever the hardware needs to go back to Bryston for service.  It also helps to have some dealer clout when Bryston are too busy to reply to emails.

If I had to pay full retail (as you likely would if Bryston sold direct) and purchase without auditioning I would never have a full rack of Bryston equipment.  After all James' motto is "It's all in the demo."

As for selling used and discontinued models direct from Bryston that would be great.  My dealer has no interest in that.  Many sellers on the various audiomarts often send them to Bryston for checkup before selling anyway.  These days with outrageous shipping prices due to fuel surcharges it makes sense for Bryston to ship refurbished components direct to the end customer.

jbuzas

« Reply #36 on: 9 Jun 2022, 05:37 pm »
Doesn't PS Audio only sell direct now?    I don't think their prices went down once they went direct.

Spyman

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jun 2022, 12:32 am »
Yes, PSAudio only sells direct now. I don’t think their prices went down any, but they have quite a few sales.

bjski

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jun 2022, 01:34 pm »
When the parts supply chain is back up and running why not sell refurbished products? Bryston did use Audio Advisor to sell some of it’s refurbished products.

Bryston will allow folks a chance to get into high end audio at a significantly lower price point and enjoy a Bryston. Plus I do like the 4B upgrade program that Bryston offers. Seem’s many manufacturers are headed in that direction.

I would love for Bryston to be able to offer more upgrades. I upgraded my BDP-2 card myself & then eventually sent it in for the full upgrade to the BDP-3. Would you call my BDP-2 refurbished or upgraded? My other BDP-3 was sent in for repairs, refurbished?

My local dealer stopped selling Bryston. They now are more interested in selling home theater & installation.

gbaby

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jun 2022, 02:06 pm »

Perhaps, I misunderstood you.I thought I should bring it to the store, where I purchased it and where I have warranty.Anyway, I hope I did not insult anybody here.If I did, I do apalogize.

You do not need to apologize as you have said nothing offensive.