Mass loading speaker stands.

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

Mass loading speaker stands.
« on: 25 May 2022, 04:50 am »
Good Morning,

My stands are Pangea DS400 28”. Supporting some modified klipsch rp-600m that maybe weigh 22 lbs.
To any whom are unfamiliar these are 4 pillar steel stands that are pretty heavy duty. I am dynomating the base plate and steel columns on the bottom, and the top inside about 5 inches deep.
I’m wondering how much sand I should use to both keep this thing stable and sound great. I figure leaving maybe 4 inches unfilled will give it a lower center of gravity and that is roughly the depth of which the pillars will be treated with dynomat.
Does anyone have any experience with these stands or an idea of how much i may want to fill these things.
My filler is quarts sand.

« Last Edit: 25 May 2022, 05:34 pm by jrocks29ms@gmail.com »

2bigears

Re: Mass loading speaker stands.
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2022, 04:57 am »
 :D buying these same stands tomorrow. What did you do to the bottom ?  Interesting !  :D

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2022, 01:50 pm »
:D buying these same stands tomorrow. What did you do to the bottom ?  Interesting !  :D

Buy these instead -- appear to be identical stands at less than half the price:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31264&gclid=CjwKCAjwp7eUBhBeEiwAZbHwkT2sB_ZthPpZ6kF639AGvQ9EXBtsMwjanKoERBQ3xZrI4STye9lS_hoCuaQQAvD_BwE

I'm very happy with them supporting my monitors (JM Reynaud Twins, Wharfedale Denton 80) -- very solid build, inert/heavy/stable when filled with sand.

User reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMCXX32?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QO_KF-2Isg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCtmlE4klk
« Last Edit: 25 May 2022, 03:42 pm by sunnydaze »

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2022, 05:29 pm »
Yes, seems like it makes sense from a bean counter position, for the mono price; but I’ve read lots of comparison reviews, and general opinion is the thickness, finish, and wieght are in a lower class than the pangea.

Very tedious was the dynomating of the base plate, as i chose to dynomat the steel beams (on all sides) that are welded to the plate and floor spikes insert into, this is a thin piece of steel located near the edges. Great care and attention to detail is needed to get these treated. But they are the first point of contact to the floor.

So I actually saw a really good video of this on YouTube, the stands were actually ds300’s.
Took his methodology and made it my own. He didn’t do all 4 sides of the steel columns at the top, or the cross section that the top plate screws into.

Good Luck, they are heavy, and nice. MY box was beat to hell in the mail.
I’d recommend crutchfield they ship free and were at my house in 2 days from order.

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2022, 08:32 pm »
Yes, seems like it makes sense from a bean counter position, for the mono price; but I’ve read lots of comparison reviews, and general opinion is the thickness, finish, and wieght are in a lower class than the pangea.

Interesting.   Comparing specs on the 28 inch pair the Panagea does weigh about 20 lbs more, so it's obviously a chunkier build.  Does that necessarily translate into better performance that is audible?
 :dunno:

In my research I didn't come across those sonic comparos.  Can you provide some links?

Thanks.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2022, 01:00 am »
 :D the monos are 21 pounds .  The Pans are 42 pounds or so ? That's a heavy stand !   :D

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2022, 03:26 am »
The Pangea are 51 pounds before treatment of filling 25 plus pounds each. The thickest stands Ive ever come across and thicker than the ls300 i tried first, their circular pole support pieces were a chime!

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2022, 04:10 am »
 :D so how much does heavy matter. A firm support is a must. The monos would be 40 pounds filled. The Panis will be 70 pounds filled. Hummmm :D

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2022, 08:43 am »
I suspect heavy means less likely to resonate. And that is totally up to each person. To a person who listens to music with there iPhone, not important at all.

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2022, 03:21 pm »
:D the monos are 21 pounds .  The Pans are 42 pounds or so ? That's a heavy stand !   :D

Monoprice weight is correct (as per their website), but that is not the weight for each Pangea.

The Pangea are 51 pounds before treatment of filling 25 plus pounds each. The thickest stands Ive ever come across and thicker than the ls300 i tried first, their circular pole support pieces were a chime!

51 lbs is for the pair, so each stand weighs 25.5 lbs.   That's 4.5 lbs heavier than the Monoprice -- not a huge difference.   
When filled with sand, my 28" Monoprice stand weighs 39 lbs, so 18 lbs of sand.  The construction and dimensions appear similar, so it's strange that the Pangea holds 7 lbs more sand per stand.     :scratch:
« Last Edit: 26 May 2022, 04:35 pm by sunnydaze »

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2022, 03:23 pm »
I suspect heavy means less likely to resonate.....

Likely true....up to a point.  Would a 200lb stand resonate less (and "sound" better) than a 100lb'er?  I doubt it.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2022, 04:27 pm by sunnydaze »