Treating room with tile floor

michaelv

« on: 6 Apr 2005, 05:01 pm »
Hi,
  My basement (i have just moved my HT to basement) has tile floor. The room size is 12x26 ft, but listening position is  9 ft from the screen  which is 3 ft from front wall.  It leaves 12 ft from behind. Right now, it echoes a lot. I have already orderd some acoustic foam (3" thick) to fix the reflection point on the side walls. Do i need to do this for ceiling? what a bout the floor?

thanks a lot[/img]

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2005, 02:08 am »
Carpet would be good. Ceiling and side walls should be treated at first reflection points first. Then some more behind your system.  If you can build/buy bass traps you will be glad you did. Sound improvement from treating a room is very cost effective, far more than electronics or cables.  You will hear the improvement. Sounds like you really need them and 3" foam is good. Don't use anything thinner than 3".  Realtraps has very good prices on acoustic treatment also.  For foam it's best to use the wedge foam over the eggcrate. Hope this helps.

michaelv

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2005, 06:13 pm »
1> For the area rug, should i cover the entire area from listening position to the tv , or just  large enough to cover first reflection point  on the floor?

2> For ceiling treatment, i am looking for the idea of hanging acoustic foam , but i don't want to spray anything on the ceiling.

3> you mention on the treatment behind the system, what do you mean? Do i need to cover the wall behind the front speaker with wedge foam? What about the side wall behind listening position?

4> How do you lay out wedge foam? I mean the lay out of the edge should be horizontal or vertical or both alternately. If you know any links that show the layout of wedge foam, it would be very helpful.

By the way, i will put wedge foam on the board 2'x4' and hang it in the wall in stead of spraying directly to the wall. My wife just doesn't want anything stick to the wall at all..:)

thanks very much

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2005, 07:57 pm »
contact 8th nerve guys -they have some new stuff due out soon
your wife will be very happy