Super 3r and breaking in

portlandlay

Super 3r and breaking in
« on: 6 Apr 2005, 11:59 am »
I just picked up some second hand super 3r's.  I bought them from a guy that just picked them up last month.  I think he had very little hours on them and they are not broken in yet.

The cabinet is very nice (walnut) and I really dig the magnetic grill and Cardas posts.  The cabinet gives nothing away to my new production LS3/5a that I paid about 3x the price for.

I have only listened for about a half hour and so I need to let them break in before I can form a real opinion.  So far they are interesting.  The imaging/stage seems very good.  It is a little more directional than my LS3/5a but they are known as one of the best in that respect.  Bass extension is good but is slighter in the mid bass/ mid range than the LS3/5a and a little thin sounding.  This may change with break in, better positioning and different amp choice.  I used a sonic impact and a Stock Dynaco St-70.  The do have a roll off on the top end as one would expect but this is not too much of a problem.  I do perceive then to be a little nasal sounding and again this is part from the roll of and perhaps lack of break in.

One thing that I did notice is that they resolve better than the LS3/5a.  I listened to the new Jack Johnson cd and one of the songs has rain in the background.  It is harder to discern this with the LS3/5a but the super 3r sound like rain.  I have not listened to Diana Krall but I bet the snare drum sounds less like static with the super 3 than through the LS3/5a.

These are my very early observations and should not be taken to heart as they should break in a little and I have not taken the time to optimize anything.

I think I may enjoy my adventure into single driver land...

Stephen

smargo

Super 3r and breaking in
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2005, 12:47 pm »
I have only listened for about a half hour and so I need to let them break in before I can form a real opinion.

With all due respect - give me a break with the half hour auditions- (ill wait until you have listened for 45 minutes, then i will really take what you say with any credibility) Many marriages have failed when people got married after the 1st date and many more.

I'll take what you say with a grain of salt until you listened for at least a  month.

Regards,
smargo

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Super 3r and breaking in
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2005, 02:12 pm »
Stephen   I also live in Spokane. I would be very interested in hearing the 3Rs and Sonic Impact, as I've never experienced either before. I have some gear that you may, or may not, be interested in auditioning. Please PM if this might be of interest to you. I will understand if you're not.
            Ted

portlandlay

Grain of salt...
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2005, 02:45 pm »
Please do take my comments this way.  I really need a couple of months for much of an opinion.  I have the new ack DAck 2.0 that I do not even have an opinion on and I have had it a month.

I did know that the sonic-t was a bargain  the first minute I played it though.  I am not saying that it is any world beater but at $29.00 it is a good deal of fun.

Stephen

-Richard-

Super 3r and breaking in
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2005, 11:16 pm »
Smargo's cautionary comments are well placed here.

We who weld our opinions on this August  Circle
have a serious responsibility to the one person inventors,
designers and manufacturers who operate within the
parameters of a cottage industry...

However I can identify with Portlandlay's excitement and
enthusiasm at being able to compare 2 speakers that he
obviously finds great pleasure in.

Still, our excitement must be tempered by realizing that once
our observations are "printed" on a thread in AC they are
read by many music lovers who are looking for advice and
sound information in order to make intelligent audio purchases.

And this is where our responsibility becomes most important.
If we jump too early into the sharing of what we think we are hearing
it could prejudice readers away from cottage industry audio products
that might in fact be excellent choices for them.

I own a Omega Grand 8R...and the changes I am hearing over
the several weeks of daily listening are profound. Right now what
I am hearing is sublime...the very best music reproduction I have
ever heard anywhere...but I needed to try different amps and
combinations of CD players and external DACs before I understood
what the speakers needed to be feed in order to come to life and
play with the kind of magic that I am hearing now...

All of this takes work and discipline and is well worth it if one is a
true music lover. Easily a labor of love. And love requires patience.

I am grateful to Smargo for pointing this out to us.

Warm regards -Richard-

smargo

Super 3r and breaking in
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2005, 12:25 am »
but I needed to try different amps and
combinations of CD players and external DACs before I understood
what the speakers needed to be feed in order to come to life and
play with the kind of magic that I am hearing now...

All of this takes work and discipline and is well worth it if one is a
true music lover. Easily a labor of love. And love requires patien

Richard

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You- Your comments and experience with the grand 8rs are enticing and makes me want to buy them. Your levity is most welcome.

I knew there was a great speaker in there.

Regards,
smargo

portlandlay

Criticism-Praise and Opinions
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2005, 03:10 am »
I do understand the fragility of a manufactuer like Omega and other small companies that rely on forums for support.  I do not in the least want to propagate misinformation about a product for this reason.

However, my feeling is that Smargo was a little alarmist in his/her reaction to my original post.  I very clearly diluted my sonic impression by offering that I had only just begun listening.

I think it is rather irresponsible to not expect criticism.  Does anyone believe that any loudspeaker they own or produce should be immune?  I really hope not.

Last,  I think that this little Super 3r has some really positive things going for it.  Is it really great for me - only time will tell.  I can say that I really like the craftsmanship and I would not hesitate to try a different omega design if I feel left wanting in the end.  That is praise by the way :)

kbuzz3

Omega Break In
« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2005, 06:35 pm »
Just my 2 cents but i was bit skeptical about speaker break in -in general until I bought a bair of omega narrow baffle 3s.  The break in time is both long and profound.  so this is an area to proceed with caution.

I have recently confirmed that the break in was both real and palpable on a number of levels when i recieved my super 3r upgraded alinco's from omega.  they are still congested with 40 hours on them.....and the sound does change from day to day.

So great thread but opinions should not be listed on the omegas until well after the 200 hour mark.

Dmason

Super 3r and breaking in
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2005, 06:50 pm »
Personally I find that the Fostex bicones change over the long haul as well, sounding better over time, with 200 hours being a bare minimum mileage before you can even hear what they are all about. The Sigmas take even longer, the 168 about a year of almost constant play. And a good workout. Curiously, the FE166esr sounds great, after 10 minutes you forget all about break in.

It is my belief that some never actually hear how good those speakers CAN sound, because they never get loosened up enough, or are allowed enough time on them. The spiders are Stiff As Hell. Patience is the word.

portlandlay

Break in
« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2005, 07:36 pm »
I have noticed a change with another 10 hours -  5 at higher volume and with dynamic music.  A little less "tight" sounding a little fuller in the mids...  I will not pay attention for a couple of weeks of playing.

Louis O

Super 3r and breaking in
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2005, 12:00 am »
Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for your purchase of the Super 3s and the positive comments, I really appreciate them.

These are all great posts and very important too. The break in issue is something that I wish I could resolve here at the shop. It's very true about the long break in times and the speakers do change dramatically during and after break in. The smaller diameter drivers take much longer as well. The best advise is to break them in LOUD. The suspensions really need to move and this is the brunt of breaking them in. If they are played at lower volumes, it will take much more time to loosen up.

Break in allows the speakers bass to catch up to the rest and even out. Also midrange problems will smooth out dramatically.

Thanks again,
Louis