TLP questions

MemphisJim

TLP questions
« on: 6 Apr 2005, 01:39 am »
Hi Hugh-

I've got a few questions about the TLP pre, as I'm thinking about building one. As I understand it from reading your page, the TLP does not amplify. If correct, when using the potentiometer option (as I would), I would have to make sure that my source played loud enough (which it does).

Also, how big is the circuit board? Does the potentiometer come before or after the tube stage? Would it be okay to house the power supply in a different chassis, kind of like a wall wart?

Enough questions for now :)

Thanks!
Jim

AKSA

• http://www.aksaonline.com
TLP questions
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2005, 09:51 pm »
Hi Jim,

My apologies for delay.  You wrote:

Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:39 pm  TLP questions    

As I understand it from reading your page, the TLP does not amplify. If correct, when using the potentiometer option (as I would), I would have to make sure that my source played loud enough (which it does).

Also, how big is the circuit board? Does the potentiometer come before or after the tube stage? Would it be okay to house the power supply in a different chassis, kind of like a wall wart?

Yes, to first stage.  This would mean your source would need to be either CD or DVD, and that your amp had at least 24dB of gain.  The insertion loss of the TLP is -0.75dB;  not very much loss at all.

Circuit board is 2" x 2 1/2".

Pot (not supplied) comes before the tube stage.

Power supply in a different chassis is just fine, good idea in fact!

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,

Hugh