Speaker sensitivity

HT1278

Speaker sensitivity
« on: 3 May 2022, 02:04 am »
I noticed that the X-MTM speakers sensitivity is 91, and I believe the X-LS has a sensitivity is 86 unless I am mistaken.

Since the X-MTM has one more driver than the X-LS is that what increases the density?   

Not sure what the sensitivity for X-Statik speakers. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Speaker sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2022, 03:17 am »
X-Statiks are 91dB sensitive.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2022, 03:48 am »
I noticed that the X-MTM speakers sensitivity is 91, and I believe the X-LS has a sensitivity is 86 unless I am mistaken.

Since the X-MTM has one more driver than the X-LS is that what increases the density?   

Not sure what the sensitivity for X-Statik speakers.

Correct. The boost in effeciency comes from having more drivers running in parallel.

HT1278

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2022, 05:57 am »
If the X-MTM's have less drivers than the X-Statik's why do they have the same sensitivity?

If someone were to build LKG's with two of the LGK drivers what the sensitivity increase to? 

NoahH

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2022, 01:03 pm »
If the X-MTM's have less drivers than the X-Statik's why do they have the same sensitivity?

If someone were to build LKG's with two of the LGK drivers what the sensitivity increase to?

Giving the context of this question would likely help. I.e. are you asking for understanding or do you need really high sensitivity for some reason?

The quick answer is going to be that everything affects sensitivity - crossover, driver model, enclosure, etc. So there is no "just do x" that will make this a trivial exercise.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2022, 01:48 pm »

Because the X-statik is a 3-way speaker. So the drivers aren't playing the same frequencies, except for the crossover region. If the X-statik was turned into a 2.5-way. the bass would be more effecient than the rest of the speaker, while the mids and tweeter would down by roughly 3-4dB. Making it very boomy.

The reason the NX-Otica has 4 lower woofers is to match the higher effecinecy of the NQ mid-woofers. 2 wouldn't be enough.
Same would have to be done if installing NQ woofers into the X-statik chassis. You would also need 4x 8ohm lower woofers in series-parallel instead of just 2x 16ohm in parallel.

The crossover would also need to be adjusted for the difference in effeciency, and parameters of the different drivers.

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2022, 01:57 pm »

Two different design drivers will have different sensitivities due to many factors: stronger motor magnet, more turns in the voice coil winding, lower moving mass, looser suspension, more cone area. Box design parameters can also affect sensitivity such as horn loading, stuffing, box volume, reflex port, etc. System sensitivity is considered from the very beginning of a speaker design and affects every decision.

If you add a second driver of same design with a parallel electrical connection your sensitivity would increase by 6dB (double the loudness.) 3dB of that comes from having another driver singing along with the first, plus you get another 3dB from halving the impedance of the electrical load. Half impedance draws double the current for a given voltage, so you're putting double the power into double the # of drivers = +6dB sensitivity.

But, if you added a second same driver with a series electrical connection then you would have no change in sensitivity, because you have an additional driver singing along which adds 3dB as above, BUT you double the electrical impedance of the load which cuts the current in half for a given voltage. So you're doubling the drivers but halving the power, so net zero increase in sensitivity. Duh, that's stupid! Why waste money on extra driver? It raises the load impedance into a range that is acceptable to typical amplifiers, without reducing electrical damping as would adding a series resistor to raise the impedance. Damping = detail so you want to avoid adding series resistors if possible, hence the wide variety of driver sensitivities available to the speaker designer, with many available with different nominal impedances.

A parallel connection is useful to raise sensitivity, but only if your amplifier can tolerate the resulting lower electrical impedance. >3 ohms minimum dip is preferred for most SS amps, and a flattish >5-10ohms range is ideal for tube amps.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2022, 04:32 pm »
Two different design drivers will have different sensitivities due to many factors: stronger motor magnet, more turns in the voice coil winding, lower moving mass, looser suspension, more cone area. Box design parameters can also affect sensitivity such as horn loading, stuffing, box volume, reflex port, etc. System sensitivity is considered from the very beginning of a speaker design and affects every decision.

If you add a second driver of same design with a parallel electrical connection your sensitivity would increase by 6dB (double the loudness.) 3dB of that comes from having another driver singing along with the first, plus you get another 3dB from halving the impedance of the electrical load. Half impedance draws double the current for a given voltage, so you're putting double the power into double the # of drivers = +6dB sensitivity.
As with everything else in the world, no one can agree on anything!   :lol:

https://recording.org/forum/recording-live-or-studio/twice-loud-6db-or-10db