Short term fix needed for older TV

john from seattle

« on: 5 Apr 2005, 09:25 pm »
Hey guys,

Last year my best friend in the midst of helping me move a sleeper sectional sofa to my apartment also gave me his parent's old 27" Mitsubishi stereo TV that they didn't want and was purchased in 1987.

Works great exept for one thing. Poor shielding and my vintage Sansui speakers affect the color of the picture. The TV has that particle board wooden cabinet with the vinyl woodgrain finish on it.

Anyhow, I've used these Sansui speakers with other TV's, my 1996 vintage Toshiba 20" stereo TV with no effects whatsoever and if I recall right, they didn't affect my old Sears 19" color TV from the mid 70's (metal cabinet).

What I've thought of is slipping some sheet metal inside the speaker cabinets since they have screws holding the backs on to twart the magnetic energy away from the picture tube. Whadda ya think?

I can't move the speakers away from the TV due to space constraints in my apartment and can't afford to replace either the speakers nore the TV at this time. Eventually, the TV will be replaced with hopefully either a liquid plasma or LCD flat panel model.

Suggestions to make TV viewing a little easier for now will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, my 2 channel audio system carries the audio for TV/movie viewing as well, which it does just fine thank you.  :D

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2005, 09:47 pm »
That should help out a bit.

I've pulled one of my speakers open once (they're mag shielded) and they had a sheet of metal (steel?) that was a good 1/16th or 3/32th of an inch thick that was glued to the inside of the speaker.

john from seattle

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2005, 09:51 pm »
Thanks Bubba,

That's kinda been my thought as well. Will have to get measurements and do a little pricing.

Grover

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2005, 10:08 pm »
I know you posted that you couldn't afford to replace the TV just now, but I wasn't sure that just meant you couldn't afford plasma or lcd right now.

Our old TV went out recently and we decided to purchase an "interim" TV until we could go with one of the high-rez formats in the future.  We got a 27in Toshiba, model 27A44.  The picture quality on this TV is fantastic.  Not high rez of course, but sharpness and color saturation is first rate.  it will be a MUCH longer-term solution that I had first thought.  I don't have much desire to upgrade.  Best Buy has them for $250.

john from seattle

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2005, 11:51 pm »
Grover,

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that I can't afford to replace the TV period right now, let alone a 27" analoge tube TV. If I could, I would.