Considering a Vision SET 120 (with Reynaud speakers)

bs0755

Hi:

It has been a while since I have visited Audio Circle, and that was usually the Acoustic Circle... 

Earlier today, I posted a request on the Audiogon forum for integrated amp suggestions in the $1000-$2000 range.  My current system consists of a Cayin A-50T tube integrated, Oppo 205, and Reynaud Euterpe Jubile speakers (89dB/4Ohm).  I have no complaints whatsoever with the Cayin, and could live happily with it indefinitely.  However, after having one of the power tubes die recently, I was not able to obtain a replacement tube/set from either of my usual trusted sources--So, I was forced to pay more than I wanted to for a new quad from someone else, just to get the amp back up and running.

Long story short, I started out looking for a modestly priced SS  unit that would serve as a backup to the Cayin, so I would not have to face that dilemma in the future.  Since the Oppo has a volume control, I could go with either an amp or an integrated.  Someone kindly pointed out that the Vision SET 120 Control amp could be just the ticket.  After doing some quick research, it appears as though the Vision could even replace the Cayin---just not sure if I would miss that tube sound that I have become accustomed to...

JackD

Re: Considering a Vision SET 120 (with Reynaud speakers)
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2022, 01:28 am »
I own both Bliss Jubilee's and Abscisse Jubilee's and have run them both with the Vision SET 400.  You will not be disappointed in the pairing of Reynaud and Van Alstine SET amps.  There is just a hint of "tube warmth" in the voicing of the SET amps that helps in the pairing. 

bs0755

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2022, 12:25 pm »
I own both Bliss Jubilee's and Abscisse Jubilee's and have run them both with the Vision SET 400.  You will not be disappointed in the pairing of Reynaud and Van Alstine SET amps.  There is just a hint of "tube warmth" in the voicing of the SET amps that helps in the pairing.

Thanks! I was hoping to get some input from another Reynaud owner. 

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2022, 12:31 am »
I own the SET 120 Control Amp. I’m an enthused owner and I’ll provide some adjectives to describe its performance….clean, detailed, airy, dynamic, wide soundstage, good depth, excellent timbre, decay, etc. It’s on the smoother side of neutral. I think you’ll really enjoy the performance, and if you have time, I’d like to get your impressions after you have some hours on it.