Audible differences between the GR line of speakers

lupodwdm

I'm leaning more and more towards getting a pair of GR's based on alot of what I have read here and at other sites on the net.  Can anyone describe to me what the strong/weak pointes are for both the Criterion and the A/V -1 since I have never heard either of them.  Is there an easy way to describe each speakers sound?

Buck Naked

« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2005, 06:30 pm »
If it were my money, I'd get these: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1115912823
Do a search on Audio Asylum's speaker forum for tons of info on their sound. 400 bucks with stands is a screaming deal for these speakers IMO :mrgreen:

ken

gr speakers
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2005, 12:13 am »
I just responded to your pm.  I own a pair of the AV-1's with the new midbass and sonic cap upgrade and really like these speakers.  You can't go wrong with either the AV-1's for sale here in the circle you inquired about or with the paradox 1's for sale on agon.  If your in the area your more than welcome to stop by and listen to mine :P

Ken

Danny Richie

Speakers
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2005, 12:49 am »
The Paradox-1's for sale on Audiogon are a great deal. These are similar in some ways to the A/V-1.

The latest A/V-1 model has a little more baffle step compensation resulting in a little better bottom end with a trade off of a little less sensitivity.

The Focal tweeter used in the Paradox-1 model does make them a little more sensitive to the electronics used and is not as forgiving as the A/V-1. With really good electronics though, they really do shine. The Paradox-1 is also a little more sensitive to room reflections as the Focal tweeter has a wide dispersion.

The advantage in going with the A/V-1 or A/V series speakers is that there are matching models designed to be used as a center channel and rear surrounds. There are also several different great combinations to choose from.

All of the A/V series speakers do share a common tonal balance and character and work well together.

The Criterion and its larger brother the Diluceo were more of a high end two channel design but they can be used in home theater applications. There is nothing better than the G-2 ribbons in the top couple of octaves. Speed, clarity, and detail, are second to none.

Below that range though the A/V-1 is pretty close and a fraction of the price. In fact the A/V series speakers represent a greater value across the board. This was one of the reasons we decided to no longer pursue the sale of Criterion's and Diluceo's. Both models have been discontinued and we only have enough parts (drivers) left in stock to sell one more Diluceo kit.

We also have a few demo pairs left as well that have been marked down to move.

Creative Sound Solutions has a limited number of fully assembled units marked down to sell fast too.

ken

gr speakers
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2005, 05:46 am »
Danny I wasn't aware that both the Criterion and Diluceo had been discontinued.  I did listen to the Criterion and felt it played louder with better transients but like you said I wasn't so sure it was worth almost twice the price of the AV-1's which compare favorably with almost anything <$1500.00

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Audible differences between the GR line of speakers
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2005, 07:29 am »
Quote from: lupodwdm
I'm leaning more and more towards getting a pair of GR's based on alot of what I have read here and at other sites on the net.  Can anyone describe to me what the strong/weak pointes are for both the Criterion and the A/V -1 since I have never heard either of them.  Is there an easy way to describe each speakers sound?
If you check through the GR Research circle, you can read reviews of the Criterion that Danny was nice enough to send around on a home audition tour. Nice speakers !!! :D

Danny Richie

Value
« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2005, 12:47 pm »
but like you said I wasn't so sure it was worth almost twice the price of the AV-1's which compare favorably with almost anything <$1500.00

I guess every ones sense of value is a little different. To one, the difference is well worth the price. To another, maybe not.

The A/V-1 is no end all be all speaker and wasn't meant to be, but for a kit cost of $229. for the pair it is pretty tough to beet.

I could release another better sounding speaker, but not in this price range.

george king

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2005, 02:50 pm »
I'll chime in here, and agree with Danny.  At the price (for each of the kits), I am not sure that you can find a better sounding speaker, and I have listened to lots and lots of speakers.

The AV-1s are great speakers, and they were my primary speakers for a couple of years, until I recently bought the AV-3's (truly amazing speakers).  I dont think you can go wrong with the AV-1s.

Just my two cents.

ken

Gr speakers
« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2005, 11:09 pm »
I probably should have quantified my response about the av-1's by saying  I'm fairly certain there are other speakers out there that may sound better then the av-1's in some areas in the < $1500.00 price range but don't think the differences would be very signifigant and again this is very subjective and everyone's mileage may vary but like others have said the price point for the kit is tough to beat and  Heck the xover's are probably worth more then just about any bose speaker out there 8)   I really would like to hear the AV-3's though.  Danny, any chance of a pair of these going out on tour anytime soon :mrgreen:

outlawrocketman

Diluceos
« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2005, 04:36 am »
Hi,

Can't say much about the AV line from GR, but I'm listening to my Diluceos now and still love them after about 18 months.  Clean, clear sound with depth and punch. They handle a wide varity of music (I mostly listen to blues and rock, but also Jazz and Classical (including full orchestral). To augment the low end of the register I added a Danny custom-designed subwoofer, and it's the perfect complement.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Danny design - just pick your price point and go for it!

Now playing -

eric the red

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2005, 08:07 am »
I've had my Paradox 3s that were built from a kit (1"mdf sides, 2" mdf baffles, upgraded caps, each weighing 110 lbs @$900.00 total cost) for over two years now . Every time I think of upgrading I lose interest. I've read of B&W 804 owners (a $3500.00 speaker) who have ditched theirs in favor of the P3s. Danny knows what he is doing.

lupodwdm

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2005, 08:16 am »
Did you assemble these yourself?  Did you make any modifications to them?

eric the red

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2005, 12:17 am »
My uncle is a professional woodworker and his son (my cousin) is an audio geek. They built them at their shop in Minnesota. Mine have better wire than the original kit's, upgraded caps (Auricaps I think) that I bought from Danny plus they are completely lined with Blackhole5 and covered in a shiny black laminate that is normally used for kitchen counter tops.  110 lbs each. They overbuilt them so we could get as rigid of a cabinet as possible. I think I've seen maybe two pair on the used market in the last 2 years.

lupodwdm

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2005, 12:29 am »
What does the laminate look like?  I'm looking at cherry veneered MDF, but the stuff is like $115 a sheet!!  I'm also looking into a more DIY approack to black hole 5. (DAmn that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!)  Danny told me that vinyl floor tile with open cell foam over it works pretty good.  Have any ideas on that?

eric the red

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2005, 01:21 am »
It's fairly heavy gloss black laminate with a shiny finish. Easy to clean, very durable and it looks great. It comes in a zillion colors, including woodgrains, and is cheap . I thought abought doing my speakers in RED, but....I'll get a price for you on a sheet of laminate tonite from my cousin.

lupodwdm

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2005, 01:30 am »
Awsome!  Could you post a few pics so I could see how it looks?  Can you ask him what type it is?

eric the red

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2005, 11:48 pm »
My uncle said the cost of the laminate for my speakers cut to fit and shipped would be $100.00. I don't have a camera, but if you know what colors you are interested in, I could have them send you samples. PM me for anything further on this as I don't want to hijack this thread. You could probably go to Home Depotor a local cabinet shop and get an idea of all the colors available.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2005, 07:08 pm »
I veneered my A/V-3's in Rosewood, my favorite wood.  I do a "hand-rubbed Danish oil" finish.  Georgeous grain in Rosewood is, IMHO, unbeatable.
http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
The A/V-3's are on page three of my crude web site.  The outdoor photo is raw veneer, before I finished them.  The indoor photo is after several hours of finish work.  Love that Rosewood :D

lupodwdm

« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2005, 08:01 am »
Well, after 10 days of construction I finally finished the GR research home thearer package of 2 AV3, a AV3S and 2 AV1/RS.  It was well worth the effort, this system sounds INCREDIBLE!!!!

I ended up just painting the cabinets with 6 coats of gloss black, and they came out great.