LGK 2.0 Build

stephenmeade

LGK 2.0 Build
« on: 17 Apr 2022, 05:02 pm »
Hi everybody. Longtime lurker.

I originally bought some GR-Research Paradox about 20 years ago when I was in college. Now fast forward and I still love music am getting back into the DIY game. I actually had a CSS kit from a LOOOONG time ago that used 2 3" Tang-Band drivers (I think) with the second driver just handling baffle-step compensation. I've always loved the idea of wide-band drivers and I listen to a lot of acoustic music where they seem to excel.

Furthermore, I think a lot of people like me are in "near-ish" field listening scenarios. My listening area is not some 14x14 dedicated room, but a portion of a another room where my speakers are maybe 6-7ft apart and my chair is about 7-8ft from the back wall.

Right now I have a home-brew "Gainclone" amp that's about 20 watts a channel. But I'm kind of excited by the idea of eventually going with something like the Emotiva TA1 amp with the built-in 90hz crossover and adding something like the Rythmik L12 sub. I think that could create a pretty nice full-range system for a reasonable cost and would work well in smaller listening environments.

Anyhow, my kit just arrived yesterday and step 1 is painting the boxes. I went with the pre-assembled, but not veneered enclosures. I'm using a Rustoleum "2x" primer and then 3 coats of Rustoleum matte black "fine texture" hammered finish.