Bought a REL B2 for my Dahlquists DQ-10's

orthobiz

Bought a REL B2 for my Dahlquists DQ-10's
« on: 5 Apr 2005, 01:18 am »
It should be here in a couple of weeks, will keep you posted. Couldn't wait to tell somebody who might understand what I'm talking about. The forum always makes me feel "normal" in my pursuit of happiness.

Anybody with REL experience? Or Dahlquist/subwoofer advice? I know Casler is a DQ guy from way back, although he can't remember what he did with his Empire 'table (it was the 70's, eh?)...

biz

John Casler

Re: Bought a REL B2 for my Dahlquists DQ-10's
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2005, 02:35 am »
Quote from: orthobiz
It should be here in a couple of weeks, will keep you posted. Couldn't wait to tell somebody who might understand what I'm talking about. The forum always makes me feel "normal" in my pursuit of happiness.

Anybody with REL experience? Or Dahlquist/subwoofer advice? I know Casler is a DQ guy from way back, although he can't remember what he did with his Empire 'table (it was the 70's, eh?)...

biz

Yes that Empire 598 II was in 1972-73 and I do remember a lot from that time period:

Dual 1219
AR Turntable
JBL Santiagos (Fancy Voice of the Theaters)
Bose 901
Phase Linear 400
Rectilinear IIIs
Harmon Kardon and Sansui FM Tuners
Harman Kardon Citation II Preamp
Teac 3340 4 channel Reel to reel tape
Teac A1200U 2 channel Reel to reel tape
Original Harman Kardon Cassette Player/Recorder
1972 De Tomaso Pantera
1969 XKE Coupe

and a huge 6 bedroom Victorian I rented from the bank (Estate Dept) for $199 a month.

Water bed and CA King bed easily in the same bedroom (WOW)

A Black Lab named Lucifer and a Siamese cat named Satan (little devils :evil: )

And too many girlfriends to count much less list 8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That was about 2 years before the stacked mirror imaged DQ10s with Stereo Subs and Electronic Low Pass Filter (DQ-LP1) which I sold only 5 weeks ago!!!  The Dahlquist System was in 1974-76 and actually had its longest run in Grand Rapids.  So maybe Dq-10's sound best in Mich. :wink:

SO I guess I do remember "some" of that period, just not who I sold or gave certain components to.  Man I went through them like water.  And my list is probably only about 2/3 of which come to mind.

But as far as the REL, I haven't heard it but it looks like it will be good with the Dollies.

I ran my last pair of Dollies with the VMPS Larger for quite some time and they sounded great together.  The REL and VMPS Larger are both very "musical" subs.  Harry Pearson ran his Dahlquists with several different subs, and went "gah-gah" over the DQ-LP1 crossover, the design of which is still used in the $125K top speaker from Alon oe Nola or whatever their called now.

I'm sure you'll like the REL.

Keep us posted.