NX Studio & NoRez

cjsailer

NX Studio & NoRez
« on: 13 Apr 2022, 02:27 am »
So I've seen some pictures of builds where people are applying NoRez on the "ramp" behind the tweeter.  This is at an open part of the cabinet, so wouldn't some reflections actually be okay here?  Or maybe geek out and design a mini diffusor?

To the extent cabinet resonances are the primary enemy, maybe give priority to covering the sealed woofer section of the cabinet seems like the best use of the material.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: NX Studio & NoRez
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2022, 03:30 am »
The norez helps to soften and diffuse the back wave. Without it, you will get a lot of ripples in the response. As the back wave reflects back towards the tweeter.
A diffuser may work but it's generally covered by the top grill and being at an off angle will limit it's effectiveness.

Digi-G

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2022, 01:29 pm »
I asked this same question a while back, as adding NoRez in that location seems counter-intuitive.

I've had my NX-Studios up and running for a few weeks now (minus a tweeter issue I'm currently addressing).  They do sound fantastic but I think I'm hearing less of the open baffle sound than I expected.  I definitely need to play around with placement and toe-in a bit.  They are currently about 3' from the front wall - I'm going to try moving them closer and farther away.

And Hobbs, I have a lot of respect for what you say, so I'll cut some NoRez for the top of the ramps and try it with and without.

cjsailer

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2022, 10:40 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation, Hobbs.