Greetings from Houston, By God, Texas

Bossboy

Greetings from Houston, By God, Texas
« on: 4 Apr 2022, 09:55 pm »
My name here is Boss but my real name is Mark. I've been building pro-level guitar speaker cabs since I was a kid in a garage band (over 60 now). I really never had to worry about box volume unless building a bass cabinet as I would simply emulate a standard 4-12 or 2-12, etc. However as I started to research hifi speakers I was a tad overwhelmed with everything I was seeing. I first fell in love with "sound quality" in my 20's when I bought a Marantz receiver and a pair of really great speakers that had a passive radiator along with a Garrard T/T, an Akai tape deck, and a JVC VHS recorder (by far the best sounding way to record music, IMHO). Anyway, after being in the Magnolia room at a Best Buy here in Houston, the rep took my brother and I into what he called "The Lamborghini Room", where the MacIntosh sytem and others were at. I asked him to play a couple of tunes for me, Belafia by Cantoma, Surfing With the Alien by Joe Satriani, and Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith. I thought my jaw was going to hit the floor. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. In Searching With the Alien I almost thought I was there when the alien jumps in. I never realized what was supposed to happen in that song but it sounded like somebody jumped in and the sound went from one side to the other and almost around the room. Now I'm thirsty! I'm ready! and I'm looking forward to this journey. Thank you for allowing me to join this circle of friends.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings from Houston, By God, Texas
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2022, 10:25 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2022, 10:48 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2022, 01:28 pm »
Welcome!

There's lot to explore in audio and there's never been a better time to get into it.  Internet streaming has made access to music cheap, convenient, and easy.  And active monitors (low voltage sophisticated crossovers feeding one channel of power amplification per driver) are relatively cheap, convenient, good sounding. 

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2022, 01:37 pm »
Welcome!    :thumb:

I'm also in the Houston area (Cypress).   I went the DIY route for my speakers (except the ceiling speakers, which are Bowers & Wilkins), but I still have a Marantz in the mix that I picked up from Magnolia at Best Buy along with all of the speaker wire and HDMI cables.   They also installed my Savant Pro control system.   Take a look in the GR Research circle since you like building stuff.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2022, 02:24 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Mark   :thumb:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2022, 03:33 pm »
I lived downtown for a number of years, but moved overseas to support my wife's job assignment this past January. We plan to go back when our time here is up. Welcome aboard!

Bossboy

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2022, 06:18 pm »
Thank you

dflee

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2022, 08:05 pm »
Vince made a good suggestion.
it'd be the best 392 mile trip you could make.
(Just let Danny know your coming)

Don

Craig B

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2022, 05:49 pm »
Given your age and your other early equipment, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your "passive radiator" speakers were Electro-Voice, maybe their Interface A model with active EQ? There weren't many passive radiator designs around back then.