CD's in the 'rock','alternative rock' genre that have high Dynamic Range numbers

Huck

Hi:
I have a few CD's that have high Dynamic Range numbers,but don't necessarily sound good,at least to my ears on my system,but yours may vary.
One I have is Duran Duran-'Notorious' 1986 CDP 7 46415 2 (DR 16,11,18).
I have more,(high DR numbers,but not so good sound quality) but I just listed one for now and in my experience,high DR numbers don't necessarily equate to 'good sounding'
What are yours,if any? Huck  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2022, 05:43 pm by Huck »

Craig B

Forgive my ignorance, but this is the second post I've seen with three numbers that are said to represent a given recording's dynamic range, but I don't know what the numbers indicate, or how they're derived. Are they published somewhere, or are people doing their own measurements?

jseymour

Average, Minimum and Maximum values.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
Forgive my ignorance, but this is the second post I've seen with three numbers that are said to represent a given recording's dynamic range, but I don't know what the numbers indicate, or how they're derived. Are they published somewhere, or are people doing their own measurements?

Best guess they came from the Dynamic Range Database https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Duran+Duran&album=Notorious, this is the front page https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr-min/desc/730.
All goes back to the "loudness wars" - if you're unaware of the database and what it may represent, further reading is suggested.

Huck

On the other side of the coin,take Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers -"Hypnotic Eye" has DR numbers of 7,6,10.
Songs "Fault Lines',"U get me High' and "Shadow People" have way more sound quality than a lot of high DR numberered CD's I own,now,what I said earlier about high DR numbers don't necessarily equate to 'good sound' applies the opposite on this title(low DR numbers).
You can actually hear the ride cymbal on 'Fault lines' and the bass guitar is exceptionally clear all the way through on 'Shadow People'.
Check this title out.Thanks,Huck :thumb: