X-On Wall LCR Setup

pancho

X-On Wall LCR Setup
« on: 24 Mar 2022, 12:51 pm »
Hello Everyone!

Current on-wall speakers are in a small 12X12x9 multi-purpose GIK treated room (Theater 1st/Music 2nd).  Space constraints place couch against back wall with rear surrounds on side wall.   Looking to move to full-range LCR with better dynamics.   In keeping  a smaller footprint,  was looking at using the X-Bravo for L&R and the upcoming smaller M-130 based center as well.   Reached out to GR-Research for questions and Danny e-mailed me back that a small room would work well using the X-On Wall for the entire front LCR stage (along with replacing my rear surrounds).

I must admit I was very intrigued as it was an option I never even thought about!    Anyone here have any practical experience using the X-On Wall for the front LCR?   Trying to get an idea of what (if any) dynamics are lost, tweeter dispersion (especially the center channel vocal clarity when playing movies), etc.  (Danny mentioned a softening of the upper end in his video).

Very hard to pull the trigger on a such a unique concept with so many questions.   :D

Thanks.

Frank
Lake Wylie, SC

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: X-On Wall LCR Setup
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2022, 12:54 pm »
You'll still need a tradition speaker under the screen for your center channel while using the X-On Wall's for left and right mains.

pancho

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2022, 12:59 pm »

Thanks for the clarification Danny.    The center channel was something that I just couldn't wrap my head around.     

Still curious to see if anyone has any first hand experience using them in the Front stage (L&R).

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2022, 01:28 pm »
I have no direct experience with them as mains, but I'm loving them as surrounds.   My room is slightly larger than yours (15x20x9), so in my situation I needed more oomph on the LCR.