laser life.

spinner

laser life.
« on: 23 Mar 2022, 03:44 pm »
 Perhaps this was asked before but I was wondering  what  is the average  longevity of a CD laser. I understand, if  it burns out ,
it can be replaced depending on the brand. :scratch:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: laser life.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2022, 05:04 pm »
I had a 'high end' changer back in the early 90's I left it running all day for the pets. Then all night for me. So I would say it was on playing 16 hours a day,every day for ten years plus.
And why did it break? the wiring from the sled to the electronics frayed.
Other changers and CD single disk  the only problem have been capacitors.
I use CD all the time. I have never had a player fail due to a laser, but endless ones fail due to a capacitor going bad. The caps cause tracking fails.
Also at least one spinner motor gone out. which might also have been a capacitor problem, Didn't bother to find out.
So my experience going back to 1984 is 95% of all CD player problems relates to a failed or failing capacitor(s) 5% In changers maybe the wiring to the sled needs replacing, or the motor dies.
Zero problem with a laser. Big problem with failing capacitors.
BTW those were not Bryston transports.. but many different makers.

GrooveControl

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2022, 02:05 am »
Interesting Elizabeth.  I have a Denon DCD-970 that skips forward a second or two now and then. I always thought it was the laser assembly.  I should open it up again and check the caps. At least visually.    Thanks.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2022, 01:22 pm »
Cheap plastic parts in the transport/laser movement mechanism caused mine to fail.

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2022, 01:35 pm »
Well, I have a 2001 Corvette with the original CD head unit, and it still works just fine, so that's over 20 years and counting.    :thumb:

In the home, I haven't used my 100 disc changer in years since I've digitized my entire CD library, but I do have a Panasonic HD-DVD player that still works.   That said, I had a PlayStation 3 where the optical drive bit the dust after about 5 years of use.   I tried to replace it but could never get it to work again.   That's probably apples and oranges since we're talking different colored lasers, but suffice to say in my experience it's a crap shoot as to whether you'll have a mechanical failure or have the laser cut out on you.

spinner

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2022, 01:01 am »
  Can the laser be replaced ?

alinto

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2022, 04:36 am »
  Can the laser be replaced ?
It depends on whether parts are still available

R. Daneel

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2022, 05:25 pm »
Perhaps this was asked before but I was wondering  what  is the average  longevity of a CD laser. I understand, if  it burns out ,
it can be replaced depending on the brand. :scratch:

Indeed, this has already been discussed before.

I agree with some of the advice given here but completely disagree with the rest. Keep in mind that when people refer to 'a laser', they're actually referring to a laser pickup assembly, sometimes also called 'a traverse'. It can and does fail with time, for various reasons. The servo IC can get damaged, the motors that move the diode across the rail or the focusing motor can fail and yes, the diode itself can fail due to changes in the chemistry of the inner gas. The 'assembly' is a vital part of the mechanism and as such it is a relatively delicate affair that is best replaced as a whole. Replacing indivitual components would be tricky, not only because the components are tiny, but because they require precise electrical tuning to work optimally. These specs are usually not provided in service manuals as the assembly is typically sold as a package.

Some assemblies are more robust than others. Just because a Sony KSS-213 is used in a cheap Cambridge Audio player (which I still consider proper HI-FI) and a very expensive Accuphase player does not mean you bought an expensive player with a cheap mechanism. The designation is the same but the mech in the expensive machine will be tested, retested and tested again before it's even taken off the assembly line. Special amplifiers will be used to provide stable light emission by the diode, the motors will be Japanese, not Chinese, and the servo will be highly optimized, not generic. Still, in all fairness, only very nice Japanese players receive such treatment.

I assume you're referring to the Bryston BCD-3 player here. Be aware that Bryston, like mostly every other boutique high-end make, does not make their own mechanism. That, however, does not mean they simply buy the mech from someone, install it and call it a day. They may have done special modifications to the drive, either themselves or by the drive manufacturer, to adapt the drive to the partnering electronic and mechanical design of the product. It is very likely that only Bryston would be able to sell you a replacement drive and you would not be able to buy it from the original manufacturer. Even if the drive looks the same and haa the same designation, all it takes is a small modification in the firmware for it not to work properly. Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember reading something about how this was precisely the problem with the original BCD-1 drive - made by Philips, except that the generic Philips drives did not work even though they should have.

Seems like I have something against Bryston players. Not at all - they're wonderful players. As such, I think it's worth taking a bit of time to investigate how to prolong their life as much as possible.

Hope this helps. Cheers - Antun

spinner

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2022, 06:19 pm »
  Thank you  R. Daneel for taking the time to write such a comprehensive response to my  laser concerns.....much appreciated . :thumb:

R. Daneel

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2022, 04:47 pm »
  Thank you  R. Daneel for taking the time to write such a comprehensive response to my  laser concerns.....much appreciated . :thumb:

My pleasure, mate. Cheers - Antun