newbie to audio

joneggen

newbie to audio
« on: 23 Mar 2022, 12:49 am »
Just a new guy who loves listening to music but doesnt know anything yet. I have watched lots of YouTube, picked up a few old receivers and refoamed a set of micro acoustic speakers. All of this because my 12 yesr old onkyo home theater in a box died. That got me looking for a receiver and i was hooked. Luckily for me i have a father in law with a substantial collection gathering dust that we are going to start digging through. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: newbie to audio
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2022, 01:12 am »
Welcome to AC   :thumb:                                                     

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2022, 01:38 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2022, 10:43 am »
Welcome!

What sort of collection does your father-in-law have (gear or music)? 

For newbies I always suggest looking at streaming with active monitors.  Systems are simple, sound is immensely satisfying, and prices can start under $1000 for the entire setup (such as Bluesound Node with Kali LP-6 v.2).

kwarny

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2022, 12:26 am »
Look forward to what you dig up.

joneggen

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2022, 09:48 pm »
Welcome!

What sort of collection does your father-in-law have (gear or music)? 

For newbies I always suggest looking at streaming with active monitors.  Systems are simple, sound is immensely satisfying, and prices can start under $1000 for the entire setup (such as Bluesound Node with Kali LP-6 v.2).
He has stuff he picked up while in the service during vietnam and just after. Marantz 125 amfm reciever, crown ic150a, crown d150a, a couple reel to reels, teac equalizer, probably at least 500 albums on vinyl. Many recorded to reel. I had never heard of these brands until a few weeks ago.  Got the fever now. Vintage.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2022, 09:39 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC joneggen   :thumb:  Sounds like you have some fine vintage gear to start with, enjoy the journey & the music.     8)

AllanS

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2022, 01:57 pm »
All of this because my 12 yesr old onkyo home theater in a box died.
Welcome!  This is how it starts.  Enjoy the ride!
https://youtu.be/QCDPkGjMBro

lavender_tubes

• I am That, I am
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2022, 06:34 pm »
Welcome to the rabbit hole!

My favorite brands of receivers are Luxman and Sansui... both have very nice phono stages that present "warm" sounds.  I ran a pioneer sx-950 for a while before I got into tubes.  It's also a great receiver.. lots of power, but perhaps not much of its own musical character per se.  I found that for the price point, the emit tweeter on vintage Infinity speakers was hard to beat.. and their imaging capabilities are very nice.  Have fun and enjoy the journey  :D

joneggen

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2022, 01:31 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC joneggen   :thumb:  Sounds like you have some fine vintage gear to start with, enjoy the journey & the music.     8)
Thanks. It has been like someone pulled a black bag off my head. There is a whole new world out there.