Top of the line TV

ekovalsky

Top of the line TV
« on: 3 Apr 2005, 11:09 pm »
Just received a 70" Sony Qualia 006 that I ordered back in February.  If you have the space and scratch this thing is just incredible.  By far the best reproduced video I have seen.  It has no detectable screen door or rainbow artefacts that plaque DLP and blacks and reproduced wonderfully.  The picture is very bright, though Plasma would still be better if there was lots of ambient light around.

I am running with a HD-DVR cable box (Scientified Atlanta 8300HD) on Cox.  I have the box set to pass-through mode so upsampling -- "Digital Reality Creation" as Sony calls it -- is done in the TV.  It is MUCH better than upsampling done in the cable box.  Once signal is in the TV, everything from plain SD to 1080i HD is upsampled to 1080p.

Here is a rather bad pic I took of the image -- the blurriness is from me not being able to hold the camera still during a fairly long exposure.  You'll just have to trust me, Anna was practically in the room with me

:kiss:

http://members.cox.net/ekovalsky/P4022400.JPG

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Top of the line TV
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2005, 11:17 pm »
Couldn't you have taken a full body shot?   :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Congrats on the purchase.

George

JoshK

Top of the line TV
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2005, 11:26 pm »
What kind of TV is it?  CRT, rear DLP?

zybar

• Volunteer
Top of the line TV
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2005, 11:30 pm »
Quote from: JoshK

I am pretty sure it is a triple chip LCOS.

George

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
Re: Top of the line TV
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2005, 11:36 pm »
Quote from: ekovalsky
It has no detectable screen door or rainbow artefacts that plaque DLP

Sounds like Texas Instruments needs to hire a carpenter, a Santa Fe art dealer and a dentist!  :D

zybar

• Volunteer
Top of the line TV
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2005, 11:43 pm »

ekovalsky

Top of the line TV
« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2005, 11:54 pm »
Quote from: JoshK

None of the above.  It is a three chip "Silicon Crystal Reflective Display" which as I understand is similar to LcoS.  The exact same technology is used in the very expensive Qualia 004 front projector.

I've heard from a distributor that 50" and 60" versions of this set will be forthcoming later this year at lower prices, sold under the XBR line.  Display engine will be the same but the chassis, lenses, and mirrors will be of somewhat  lower quality.

Personally I'm really loving the 70" :D:

John Casler

Top of the line TV
« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2005, 12:55 am »
Eric,

Good Score!! :mrgreen:

StevenACNJ

Top of the line TV
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2005, 10:33 am »
I had a digital Sony RPTV hooked up to my Moto DCT 6200 cable box via component and had an absolutely wonderful picture.

I recently purchased a 50 Panansonic PHD7UY plasma and connected it to the same digital cable box with an AudioQuest DV-3 DVI cable. Results are just unbelievable. I really didnt think the plasma display picture could be much better than what I was getting on my Sony RPTV. I am happy to report that I was wrong.

I have read a lot of reviews about the Sony Qualia and I am sure it is wonderful.

Good luck with your new set.

klh

Top of the line TV
« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2005, 07:41 pm »
How much did that beauty set you back?

jackman

Top of the line TV
« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2005, 07:57 pm »
That TV must've cost over $10K!  Wow, I could think of a lot of things I'd like to see on that monitor!  It would look mighty nice in my family room...in spite of what my WIFE has to say about it.  

Congratulations!  Beautiful TV

J

ekovalsky

Top of the line TV
« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2005, 08:00 pm »
Quote from: jackman
That TV must've cost over $10K!  Wow, I could think of a lot of things I'd like to see on that monitor!  It would look mighty nice in my family room...in spite of what my WIFE has to say about it.  

Congratulations!  Beautiful TV

J

I paid a bit over that.  Really not bad considering it is a three chip design with full 1080p capability -- and less than most 60+ inch plasmas.  The TV is going in a wall of built-ins so I didn't need the thinness of plasma or LCD, but I also didn't want a massive rectangular box like most rear projectors.

klh

Top of the line TV
« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2005, 09:29 pm »
I'm full of envy :mrgreen:

jermmd

Top of the line TV
« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2005, 02:57 am »
Wow, that is some TV.  I see by the specs that it is about 2 feet thick.  Could you sit a center speaker on top of it?  Are you integrating your two channel music setup with a home theater setup?  How about some pictures?

Joe M.

zybar

• Volunteer
Top of the line TV
« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2005, 03:01 am »
Quote from: jermmd
Wow, that is some TV.  I see by the specs that it is about 2 feet thick.  Could you sit a center speaker on top of it?  Are you integrating your two channel music setup with a home theater setup?  How about some pictures?

Joe M.

Why would you ruin a beautiful tv like that by sitting a center channel on it?  :wink:

He is not integrating his 2 channel with this tv.

George

ekovalsky

Top of the line TV
« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2005, 03:11 am »
Quote from: jermmd

Joe M.

No center speak on this baby.  It is not a big rectangular box like the CRT rear projectors.  You can see the profile in this picture I snapped after they unpacked it in my driveway

As zybar said this is not going in my current 2 channel setup.  It is going in the game room set into a 20' wall of built-in cabinets.  Video will be added to my current two channel room (which I may build-out) via a drop down screen and DLP or ILA projector... I've been looking at the MAXX line of tweaked JVC units.  I'd really love the Qualia 004 or Fujitsu LPF-D711 but they are brutally expensive, so I'll probably go with a less expensive unit then maybe upgrade to one of these 1080p models down the line.

jermmd

Top of the line TV
« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2005, 03:32 am »
Not only is the TV nice but so is your driveway!

A TV that spectacular should be part of a full surround sound home theater.  I know George doesn't believe in the need for a center channel and he may very well be right.  The center channel always presents somewhat of a logistics/placement problem.  One of the few positives of the giant box RPTV's is that they offer a perfect stand for your center channel should you use one.  My next upgrade will be on the video side of my system and your new TV really has me lusting.

Joe M.

ctviggen

Top of the line TV
« Reply #17 on: 8 Apr 2005, 12:47 pm »
I think I'm going projector for a video upgrade (although, unlike George, I think a center channel is essential and will still have a center channel).  Projectors just provide so much more of a theater like experience.  I currently have a 57 inch Pioneer Elite, which has a beautiful picture, but I never feel "immersed" in the picture.  It's still like watching a TV.