Subs with half the no-rez

NoahH

Subs with half the no-rez
« on: 20 Mar 2022, 03:24 pm »
Has anyone put no-rez on the back half of the open baffle and not the front, or done experiments as they were adding the no-rez in for impact?

I am getting ready to start cutting the no-rez and am dreading the visual impact on the front of my sub towers. I am going to make grills but have liked the clean appearance without the grill so far, so thought I would ask before attaching this.

Thanks!

Danny Richie

Re: Subs with half the no-rez
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2022, 12:48 pm »
They really need it on both sides.

Vince in TX

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2022, 01:38 pm »
I don't know, but perhaps it's personal preference.   I think it looks pretty cool.    :thumb:

This room is dark 90% of the time anyway, so I barely notice it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2022, 05:08 pm »
I'd just keep the grills on, and make the acoustic cloth look really cool.  Remember subs do not play up high enough for the fabric to affect the sound in any way. 

NoahH

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2022, 06:00 pm »
I'd just keep the grills on, and make the acoustic cloth look really cool.  Remember subs do not play up high enough for the fabric to affect the sound in any way.

Yeah - I am not sweating the sound effect of the cloth, but the 12 drivers staring out are too cool to cover!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2022, 06:31 pm »
Yeah - I am not sweating the sound effect of the cloth, but the 12 drivers staring out are too cool to cover!

Then you definitely should not skip out on the no-rez, it absolutely makes a positive impact on the sound (not subtle, either).

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2022, 06:56 pm »
Mitering the corners  and then bevel cutting the front/rear  face of the no-rez helps the appearence tremendouisly.

You  mentioned  making  grills, did the  grill frames we sent  not  survive  ?

Also, feel free to post  some  pics  in ouir sub thread when  yoiu're all done :)

jay

VinceT

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2022, 07:17 pm »
Could you also put in some quarter round (the same thickness as the no rez) along the front edges of the no rez on the inside of the opening and miter the corners so it looks clean. You would just have to cut the no rez a little shorter to accommodate the thickness of the quarter round. Would have to really secure it so it doesn't rattle. Could also paint it to match the color of the cabinet. Like in Vince's case all black. Not sure if that would affect anything sonically or not, perhaps others could chime in to that. Or just put the grill covers on.

NoahH

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2022, 07:30 pm »
Doing some sort of trimming of the no rez is a cool idea. An out frame is likely more than I want to do of additional finish work.

Jay - which thread do you want me to add to - I will happily do so! The grill frames themselves are fine, just working on the cloth on them still, but in general, it would have been great to leave the drivers exposed for visual interest.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2022, 05:44 pm »
Hey Noah
Glad to hear  they made it,  was worried you were having to re-make  them.
Our  sub flat pack thread is  here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139480.0

And here's a pic of what  I was   speaking of for the no-rez with mitered corners/beveled front / rear  edges

And here's similar on my Super 7's

You  can make the   face bevel cuts  at   whatever  angle  you like,  I've done  some  at  45's,  some  at    60 just  for  a slightly different look
If you  cut  all the  no-rez sheets into 12.875" x  24"  with a  45 at  each  end,  you  can then   cut your  strips   from thaose and add the  beveled   faces

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2022, 07:44 pm »
Here's another look at miters and bevels. Like you, Noah, the visual aspect was what moved me this direction. Functionally no difference.

Easiest way I've found to do this is band saw. I go into some more detail here, about halfway down the page.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.200