Re-engaging Audio

DallasT

Re-engaging Audio
« on: 20 Mar 2022, 02:54 am »
Now that I have a few things checked off the list, it’s time to re-engage audio. My how things have changed. So many options out there, but what’s really cool is, what’s old is new again. You've got to love it!

Blackmore

Re: Re-engaging Audio
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2022, 01:38 pm »
Welcome back to audio.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2022, 01:54 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2022, 02:00 pm »
Welcome!

"What's old is new again."  If that's your impression, suggest you keep looking. 

Buchardt A500 is one example of leading edge design.  A sealed active monitor with 450 watts of class D power and 3 DAC's built in.  They are available with a wireless hub that includes various digital signal processing for room correction, etc.  Rated down to 25 Hz.  Just add your source.

Speaking of class D (solid state power amps that make everything else look like dinosaurs), the latest generation is called Purifi. 

Of course the big game changer is CD quality (or better) internet streaming.  Am currently listening to commercial free 128 kps "web radio" but other subscription services are available (Tidal, Qobuz, just to name a couple) each with millions of albums to pick from.  No records or CD's to buy, care for, or store.

DallasT

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2022, 04:45 pm »
I'm with you 100% JLM!

The "what's old is new again" post is not referring to the advancements in technology. In the early 80's I worked in an audio/video store. We carried what I would call mid to upper mid level audio equipment. All the factory reps were pushing "laser disk" technology saying no one would own a turntable any more, and tubes were becoming a thing of the past! Many people started to get rid of their turntables and vinyl. The overwhelming majority of the electronics being made by the major manufacturers were "solid state". No question the technology is far superior than it was back then, I'm just glad I didn't get rid of my vinyl.

I have tried to pay attention to audio over the years (sometimes not very successfully), but in the past year I've directed more time to it. I hope to begin building my first true "audiophile" system in the not too distant future. I've had several pretty good systems over the years but during the past few months I've listened to more music than I have listened to in years. Sometimes you just get sidetracked by life. I'm excited about all the advancements I've been seeing and hope to make a trip out to hear some of Danny's designs. In the meantime, I'm having a blast getting reacquainted with audio and reading opinions and recommendations from everyone.

DallasT

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2022, 04:47 pm »
Oh and thanks for the "welcome" replies! From what I've been seeing, this looks like a group of really good folks!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2022, 05:25 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

AllanS

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2022, 05:56 pm »
Good to know you’re at a point where you can reengage. Welcome back!
I can relate.  It’s only relatively recently that I’ve been able to begin nurturing this passion/obsession.  It exciting and frustrating at the same time.  The many viable options, rabbit holes, and snake charmers can be overwhelming.  But I’m finding this to be a pretty well grounded community to help navigate it all.  Enjoy!

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2022, 08:03 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle DallasT

Tarheel

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2022, 12:22 pm »
Welcome to AC.  A good place to hang your hat!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2022, 06:08 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC DallasT   :thumb:

DallasT

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2022, 09:08 pm »
Thanks again everyone!