Denon 3910 Tube Mods Now Available - Design Complete!!!

modwright

I am FINALLY satisfied with our Denon 3910 tube mods.  There will be a unit at 'Audible Arts' in San Jose, CA - Owner Jeff Wells.  They are a dealer for this modified player and our preamp.

'Smilin' in Chicago will also have his unit this week (first week of April) and I look forward to his impressions also.

Pricing:  New unit with Universal Truth Mods = $3995; $2500 Mod Only.

Mods Include:

New tube output stage, borrowing design technology from the SWL 9.0SE - uses the 5687 tube.
LC Audio XO3 Clock installed.
Outboard power supply.
Revelation Audio Labs Cryo-Silver Reference umbilical.
Stock power supply and digital power circuits improved.

I will post with more specifics soon, but I am scrambling to get units complete and out.  We have a handful of black and silver units on hand, but most are already spoken for.

If  you have a unit that you want to have modified or are interested in purchassing a fully modified unit from ModWright, please call right away:

PH: 360-247-6688
Dan's Cell: 503-752-2908

New Address:

ModWright
21919 NE 399th St.
Amboy, WA 98601

Thanks,

Dan W.

merc

« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2005, 10:45 pm »
Holy cow... I am giddy with anticipation and excitement.  :mrgreen:

Dan,

Do the mods alter or disable any of the units current capabilites or menu options?

Does both the L/R 5.1 and the stereo outputs use the tubed output stage?

Thanks and Take Care,
merc
PS - I called and then emailed you... :)

modwright

Denon 3910 Mods
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2005, 12:05 am »
The mods do not limit any of the video or audio capabilities of the unit.

The 3910 does have a separate 2CH Stereo output circuit, and a front L & R channel as part of the MCH circuit.  These two sets of L/R outs are truly separate and the Stereo outs ONLY are modified with the tube stage.  We will NOT be offering a MCH tube mod for this player.

Thanks,

Dan W.

skrivis

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2005, 12:11 am »
Revelation Audio Labs Cryo-Silver Reference umbilical.

You need some of those Peter Belt Rainbox electret foil kits to make this truly spectacular.

It just isn't as good without them.

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2005, 08:44 pm »
Congrats on your decision merc!  :)

You WILL be very pleased with Dan's work!  I am speaking from experience!   :singing:

modwright

Thank you
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2005, 03:42 am »
Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it.

Dan W.

merc

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2005, 10:00 am »
Hi Dan,

As usual, it was a pleasure talking with you the other day, and I am excited about getting my 3910 modded by you.

Are you able to post any more specifics on the 3910 full mod yet?

Are there any early reviews on this modded player yet?

How long will the mod take, if we send in our own player, from the time you receive it to when you ship it out back to us? When should I send my 3910 into you for quickest turnaround?
I realize you are backed up with work and moving complications right now... but would like to plan sending my 3910 into you at the right time in order to be without it for the shortest period of time possible, as once I sell my Onkyo DVD player, I will be without a player in my system till I get the 3910 back.

As usual, thanks again for your help and advice!

Take Care,
merc

modwright

Denon 3910 Mods
« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2005, 04:01 am »
The mods are officially available and designs complete.  We are also up to speed in terms of production, so the standard Universal Truth mods for the Denon 3910 WILL be turned around (total time in our shop) in 2-weeks or less.  We currently have seven units underway and will start taking dates for starting work immediately.

Mod Details:

1) Upgrades to stock power supply including FRED rectifiers and improved DC filtering.
2) Upgrades to digital power supply decoupling around DACs.
3) Removal of all 2CH op-amps and stock coupling caps.
4) Installation of our own Class A tube analog stage, featuring passive I-V conversion, direct coupled input, fixed bias and cap coupled outputs, using Sonicap capacitors. (Circuit uses (2) 5687 tubes - NOS Tung Sols).
5) External supply - PS 9.0 standard. (Same supply used in our SWL 9.0SE).
6) Revelation Auido Labs Reference Cryo-Silver umbilical standard.
7) LC Audio XO3 master clock installed, standard.

Mod only price = $2500.
New Unit with mod price = $3995.

Please call me at 360-247-6688 to schedule a mod or order a new unit with mods.

Please also visit 'Audible Arts' in San Jose, CA for a demo.  Jeff Wells, owner of Audible Arts is a fantastic dealer and I am proud to have him represent the Denon 3910 Universal Truth mods as well as our SWL 9.0 and SWL 9.0SE tube linestage preamp.

Thanks,

Dan W.

merc

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2005, 02:33 pm »
Any reviews up on the modded 3910 yet?

modwright

Reviews
« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2005, 03:21 pm »
No reviews yet as there are only a couple of units out there and they are still burning in.  There is, however, a unit at Audible Arts in San Jose that anyone can hear if they are in the area.

Jeff Wells, owner of Audible Arts, is a dealer for our products and is also offering the modified Denons.  He is blown away by it ;).

Thanks,

Dan

merc

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:48 pm »
Dan,

My new 3910 is on the way to you.... and should arrive next Monday.

I am psyched, primed, and cannot wait till it gets back to me and I get to experience the Modwright Tubed Magic once again.  :D

How long should I use it (burn it in) before I host the Houston area club here for a demo?

Thanks again for your advice!

Take Care,
merc

modwright

3910 On the Way
« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2005, 02:23 am »
Great, we will get right on it next week.  You will REALLY be very pleased :).

I would recommend 200 hours +/- for it to fully break-in, but it will sound pretty darn good right out of the box.

Thanks,

Dan W.

merc

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2005, 01:09 pm »
UPS told me my unit was delivered to Modwright yesterday.... and I am holding my breath in anticipation.  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Anyone read any reviews on this modded unit yet?

merc

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2005, 02:18 pm »
Dan, or anyone?

Anyone have any pics of the modded 3910?

If not, I'll take some pics and post them here so others can avoid opening up their units when they get them.  :D

modwright

PIC's
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2005, 04:47 pm »
Externally the unit doesn't look that much different, except for the holes in the top rear of the lid, just above the tubes for heat relief and ventilation.

Dan

merc

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2005, 08:10 pm »
Funny Dan.  :D

After I posted my question I figured someone would simply post the front image shot off of the Denon site...  :wink:

However, your noting of the holes at least has some value. :)

Of course, what I'd really like to see are some pics of the inside of the unit and the mods made to it.

Then again... I can wait till I get mine if no pics are available....  :mrgreen:

merc

IT'S HERE!!!
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2005, 10:04 pm »
Today, my Modwright Denon 3910 arrived and I am PSYCHED!  :mrgreen:

Here are two quick pics of the outsides... and will post more pics once I get permission from Dan to do so.

In the meantime, I gotta go, hook this sucker up and run it in a bit....

Modwright Denon 3910
PS 9.0 Power Supply

OKAY... dumb question time.
I know I plug in the PS 9.0 power supply, but, do I also plug in the Denon 3910 too.... or does the PS 9 replace the onboard PS???

I'm gonna wait till I hear back from someone, before I hook this up, so I don't break it. ;)

Charles Calkins

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2005, 10:26 pm »
Merc:
  Let us know as soon as possible how you like your Denon.

Modwright:
  I must compliment you on your super fast service in getting Merc's denon moded and back to him in a month. I've read where other people have waited three or four months for their units to be returned to them.

Cheers
                       Charlie

Charles Calkins

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2005, 10:31 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
Merc:
  Let us know as soon as possible how you like your Denon.

Modwright:
  I must compliment you on your super fast service in getting Merc's denon moded and back to him in a month. I've read where other people have waited three or four months for their units to be returned to them.

Cheers
                       Charlie

Modwright:
   I should have said returned to them from other modders.

Cheers
                       Charlie

merc

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2005, 10:33 pm »
It was indeed super quick. Dan got it on the 3rd, and shipped it out to me on the 17th... that's only two weeks. And, if I sent it to him when scheduled to do so, he'd probably been able to get it out to me in one week.

Dan's customer service has been absolutely fantastic!!!