Introduction

MtnBeachBum

Introduction
« on: 14 Mar 2022, 04:12 pm »
Hello all. New member here. Located in Florida. I found this site through researching GR Research's products. I am hoping to one day put together a speaker kit. I don't have the funds presently, which is ok because nothing is in stock anyways. This will give me the time to design exactly what I want. I am a Joe six pack who has heard too many really good systems to settle for "budget" gear. Always looking to find the sweet spot between what I would like and what I can afford, the same as any audiophile.
I also like to woodwork and am continually trying to go outside of my comfort zone (never been a very mechanical person) and learn new skills (soldering and rebuilding/rehabbing equipment) to save money in my audiophile journey.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2022, 08:23 pm »
Welcome to AC!  You’ve come to the right place for high quality speaker kits.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2022, 08:45 pm »
The nice things about the GR Research offerings is that none of them are 'mid-fi' or 'lo-fi".  Even the lowest cost options they offer are true high end performance. 

The other nice thing (if you are on a budget), is you can start off a kit with the base (lowest cost) parts, get everything built out for the least cost, and then later you can upgrade the parts to better ones as budget allows, if that's interesting to you.

MtnBeachBum

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2022, 06:18 pm »
Welcome to AC!  You’ve come to the right place for high quality speaker kits.  :thumb:
Thanks Corndog!

MtnBeachBum

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2022, 06:19 pm »
The nice things about the GR Research offerings is that none of them are 'mid-fi' or 'lo-fi".  Even the lowest cost options they offer are true high end performance. 

The other nice thing (if you are on a budget), is you can start off a kit with the base (lowest cost) parts, get everything built out for the least cost, and then later you can upgrade the parts to better ones as budget allows, if that's interesting to you.
That's what caught my attention as well.

mflaming

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2022, 01:28 pm »
Tyson's concept is pretty much what I've done. Started with XLS Encore base kit and am now looking to add no-res and maybe a cap upgrade. Very affordable to spread cost out over a few years. You could also start out with a bare mdf and add a nice finish or veneer later on. Bare mdf can look surprising good.

MtnBeachBum

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2022, 02:44 pm »
I would like an X-Statik style that would go down to 31 hz. The info for the m165 woofer says "Optimal ported enclosure is 2.4 cubic feet where it will play to a -3db down of 31Hz". I know that the level quoted is room dependent. I know that they are designed to play with subs, but I don't have the room in apartment for additional subs. I can't think of much music I listen to that would play any lower than 31 hz. I am only concerned with 2 channel audio, if the day comes where I am in a bigger place and have the opportunity to get into home theater then I could add the subs.

I am assuming the design of the x-statik as is should not be tampered with, meaning I couldn't just increase volume of the woofer section to an internal volume of 2.4 cubic feet without screwing everything up, say the baffle width?

Sorry so long, probably should have started new topic.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2022, 05:54 pm »
The acual airspace needs for a pair of ported M165-16 needs to have the same volume as the X-MTM, which are not small speakers.
It's a little over double the size of the bass section of the Statiks.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2022, 06:03 pm »
I'd keep the X-Statics sealed.  They actually produce a surprising amount of bass.

MtnBeachBum

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2022, 06:23 pm »
The acual airspace needs for a pair of ported M165-16 needs to have the same volume as the X-MTM, which are not small speakers.
It's a little over double the size of the bass section of the Statiks.
ok, i see. bummer. thank you.

MtnBeachBum

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2022, 06:25 pm »
I'd keep the X-Statics sealed.  They actually produce a surprising amount of bass.
Between the two, I would stay with the x-statiks for the open baffle portion.