Overwhelmed with 1st attempt to update Klipsch RP8000-F kit

Guchee2

Hello to all Audiophiles!
I'm a newbie to this audio circle & setting up my intro; since i've already made 2 purchases in anticipation of BEING ABLE to build the crossover kit myself!?, i received my kit 2 days ago & boy i didn't expect it to simply have the electrical schematics. I'm back once again to enjoying good to the best sound quality music ever & got gungho into thinking it was so simple. It is simple in fact, because i can read the part#'s, Ohms, wattage, but not comfortable with the legends or symbols. So here i am, quite humbling to say, but i need any king of help. Maybe one can send an upgraded network of the Klipsch RP800-F already assembled, then I could work with the pieces that i received which truly is not a whole lot...I know i can do this, but the only electronics experience is assembling RC race cars & racing them, they had pictures or diagrams i could easily follow. But this is for the PRO's...sadly I'm not one of them. HELP PLEASE.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
Re: Overwhelmed with 1st attempt to update Klipsch RP8000-F kit
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2022, 04:42 pm »
Don't fret too much.  That initial shock is real, looking back and forth between a bag of loose components and a wiring schematic that your trying to decifer for the first time.  Your not deficient for feeling a little perplexed.   There are a good handful of people on forum here that will lend you some assistance.  I've built this one a couple times for others and it's a fairly straight forward assembly.  Not too many parts.  Lots of room in the cabinet so you don't have to crowd things onto a really small crossover board. 

If the photos that you see in the links that Hobbs added for you aren't enough to help you feel confident with the layout, your welcome to contact me directly and I can walk you through some of it and possibly send you a somewhat to scale drawing of a component layout. 

I've kind of been toying with the idea of creating a tutorial to help people convert a wiring schematic into an actual layout of physical components, and then or even separately, showing how to work from a layout, frontwards and backwards to confirm it's correct to the schematic.   I think that explaining some general concepts would be enough to help many people, but at same time, there will always be others that still need additional assistance.

For someone new to audio circuits, including those with some electrical background, some aspects really get confusing, such as combining multiple circuits, combining multiple components that branch in 3 or more directions (such as the incoming positive line component branching to a driver terminal and also to a shunt component that goes to the negative line or sometimes even two parallel shunt components, each going to the negative). Another
aspect that causes apprehension for some people is trusting the combined negative inputs and multi-driver outputs, resulting from having combined multiple circuits. As example, when a combined 3-way circuit connects negative input to the negative terminal of 2 drivers, and positive of a third driver, it is hard for some to trust how that combined bundle, which is also connected to the crossover, is able to get the right info to the right places, when everything seems interconnected or overlapping.

Fortunately  you don't have to become axpert in all of that.   Look through the links Hobbs provided and then after you've spent sonme time with it and have some specific questions, people will answer them here for you.   

Elon

Elon@ezeescrossovers.com

kyrio_s

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2022, 06:24 pm »
+1 to what Elon (E-Zee) says.  I'm also a relative newbie, and didn't think I would be comfortable playing circuit god with the components and speakers.  After Elon assembled a first set of crossovers for me, I was able to do two others from scratch -- with his help / guidance and a good amount of reading up on audio crossover theory just to understand for myself what those electrons are doing.  If you keep an open mind and ask for help when stuck, you'll get your upgrades done no problem :)

dnhs-trey74

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2022, 09:47 pm »
Hello to all Audiophiles!
I'm a newbie to this audio circle & setting up my intro; since i've already made 2 purchases in anticipation of BEING ABLE to build the crossover kit myself!?, i received my kit 2 days ago & boy i didn't expect it to simply have the electrical schematics. I'm back once again to enjoying good to the best sound quality music ever & got gungho into thinking it was so simple. It is simple in fact, because i can read the part#'s, Ohms, wattage, but not comfortable with the legends or symbols. So here i am, quite humbling to say, but i need any king of help. Maybe one can send an upgraded network of the Klipsch RP800-F already assembled, then I could work with the pieces that i received which truly is not a whole lot...I know i can do this, but the only electronics experience is assembling RC race cars & racing them, they had pictures or diagrams i could easily follow. But this is for the PRO's...sadly I'm not one of them. HELP PLEASE.

The biggest thing about building your first crossover or any pther electronics project is having the proper tools and skills necessary to do the soldering of the parts.  Learning schematic symbols and the basicx of reading schematics is easy.  make yourself a schematic symbol legend or download this:

https://engineeringdiscoveries.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Untitled-1HFGSDF-scaled.jpg

For soldering, bite the bullet and buy a great iron or soldering station like a Hakko FX-888D (preferably, if you plan to do any other DIY electronics kits) or a small quality soldering gun for bigger tasks like a crossover.  Here is a good one available in the USA as well as Australia:

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-9400PKS-Universal-Soldering-Lighting-dp-B00CLU255A/dp/B00CLU255A/ref=dp_ob_title_hi?th=1

For solder, Sn63 tin/lead is ok but better yet on all accounts is this (USA link):

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-4900-112G-SAC305-Diameter/dp/B008OA7SYE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3LCCY57GA4CEW&keywords=Tin%2Fsilver%2Fcopper+solder&qid=1647380611&sprefix=tin%2Fsilver%2Fcopper+solder%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-3

Then - practice, practice, practice until you can make consistent, clean solder joints.

A good tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgPY4B-3H10

There will be more than a few people here willing to help, I'm sure.  Enjoy!