Hello; new here, am stunned by prices of hifi gear reviewed in audio magazines

adamske20

Hi, This is Kenneth. I have what I consider a nice system- some of it a little old in the tooth but still sounds good. The key pieces are a Pass X30A integrated amplifier, Audio Physic Step1 speakers with heavy duty stands, an older Modwright tube phono stage, and an early Allen Perkins RPM-1 turntable/arm. I've gotten discouraged with magazines/websites like Stereophile, Absolute Sound, and Part-Time Audiophile-- much of their focus is on eqpt only a big-time drug dealer could afford.   

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
A lot of gear is discounted from list price.  If you are willing to go used, the price drops dramatically.  This site has, I believe, free ads.  I've purchased a few items, only one seller had problems getting their money from pay pal.  Pay pal will hold the funds for up to 30 days from new sellers.  Ebay has been great, choose 100% sellers, sometimes 99.7.  The used market is vast.  Also, open box/refurbished items are at a good price with full warranty. Shipping heavy items cost 2 arms and a leg anymore.  You have some very nice equipment.  PS, I don't generally read the trade magazines you mentioned-they seem to love every piece they review.  Another jerry

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Greetings & Welcome to AC Kenneth   :thumb:

Phil A

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I've gotten discouraged with magazines/websites like Stereophile, Absolute Sound, and Part-Time Audiophile-- much of their focus is on eqpt
Adamske,
That is what these people are paid for.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Pass X30A integrated amplifier, older Modwright tube phono stage, and an early Allen Perkins RPM-1 turntable/arm.
These equips are Classics there is no reason to sell them, Class A amps and tube equip are always good, but the magazines will convince you otherwise.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2022, 04:40 am by FullRangeMan »

Sparky14

I completely disagree with you Kenneth. I am a big time drug dealer, and I can't afford the Stereophile stuff.

Freo-1

Been at this hobby a long time. The prices for high end gear, adjusted for inflation,  are about the same or even a little more reasonable than back in the 80s.  This is especially true if one has a strictly digital system.  Plus, a lot of the newer electronics sound better than  legacy gear.

For example,  a used Devialet D-Premier can be had for around 3K USD.   This gives one a complete audio system that supports analog and digital,  includes a DAC and phono stage,  and sounds better than the majority of systems separates. It's also class A voltage output.  You can send it in to get upgraded to the latest version for 25 percent cost of a new unit,  and have a world class setup.   It also weighs less than 10 kg.  Hard to beat that. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
Man in the 1970s I could afford this 3in1 below easily but today I cant afford this Devialet combo you mentioned.

Freo-1

Man in the 1970s I could afford this 3in1 below easily but today I cant afford this Devialet combo you mentioned.

I hear you, BUT, that's not a high end setup.  Go back and look what a Pioneer SX-1980 cost in today's market,  and you will get a better idea. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
Yes not a hi-end, no combo is hi-end.
But 3 grand for a combo is too much.

toocool4

Welcome to AudioCircle adamske20

Yes prices of some of the new gear are sky high, but you don’t have to pay quite that much to get good sound. You just need to choose and match wisely.

Freo-1

Actually   many of the current AVR offerings from Yamaha,  Denon, etc. sound pretty decent.  Won't break the bank either.

Freo-1

Yes not a hi-end, no combo is hi-end.
But 3 grand for a combo is too much.

Respectfully disagree.  The D-Premier will easily outperform the vast majority of separates that cost more.  There a many reviews that will back this assertion up. 

The Stereophile measurements will verify this.   I've had separates from Pass Labs, McIntosh,  etc, and the D-Premier does a better job with playback.  Subjective,  yes, but many in the community would concur.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2022, 05:03 pm by Freo-1 »

ceylon

Hi, This is Kenneth. I have what I consider a nice system- some of it a little old in the tooth but still sounds good. The key pieces are a Pass X30A integrated amplifier, Audio Physic Step1 speakers with heavy duty stands, an older Modwright tube phono stage, and an early Allen Perkins RPM-1 turntable/arm. I've gotten discouraged with magazines/websites like Stereophile, Absolute Sound, and Part-Time Audiophile-- much of their focus is on eqpt only a big-time drug dealer could afford.

man, these prices blow my mind.

mick wolfe

Welcome to AudioCircle adamske20

Yes prices of some of the new gear are sky high, but you don’t have to pay quite that much to get good sound. You just need to choose and match wisely.

Totally agree. Many uber hi-end components are priced well beyond the point of diminishing return.(both sonically and value wise) There's a lot of high value gear out there provided one has a good ear and is willing to do a little homework.

dB Cooper

Been at this hobby a long time. The prices for high end gear, adjusted for inflation,  are about the same or even a little more reasonable than back in the 80s.  This is especially true if one has a strictly digital system.  Plus, a lot of the newer electronics sound better than  legacy gear.

For example,  a used Devialet D-Premier can be had for around 3K USD.   This gives one a complete audio system that supports analog and digital,  includes a DAC and phono stage,  and sounds better than the majority of systems separates. It's also class A voltage output.  You can send it in to get upgraded to the latest version for 25 percent cost of a new unit,  and have a world class setup.   It also weighs less than 10 kg.  Hard to beat that.

I kind of disagree with the portion I put in bold. I paid $330 for a Dynaco/Dual/Shure phono-only system in 1971. That comes to about $2300 adjusted for inflation. Not 'deep end' maybe but a decent system that gave me years of enjoyment until Hafler launnched his company and the upgraditis hit. Stereophile isn't reviewing that class of equipment and if they are, they are looking down on it, deriding it as 'mid fi' (an audiophile putdown often applied to any system/component less expensive than your own.)

There aren't any $2300 systems at shows either. One exhibitor at Capital Audiofest did advertise a $3200 system in one of their rooms but it was never connected and playing during any of my several attempts to hear it.

Agree that used is the way to go. Somebody else's upgraditis can save you a bundle.

lavender_tubes

• I am That, I am
I think it's important not to compare your system to the latest and greatest.  Modern audiophiles may think that their speakers are better than anything vintage, but I would completely disagree.  I would happily listen to my vintage turntable, with a phono stage under $1k connected to a Japanese SET amp and some high efficiency horns over most new/modern systems.  I think, all in, you can have an amazing analog system for less than $4k.  And if you're happy with it, then who cares?

I don't think there is any reason to feel discouraged.  When you start looking under the right rocks, you find all sorts of hidden gems out there, which can be pieced together to create a great system. 

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!

Oh really?

So adjusted for inflation how many amps existed back then that today sell for $80K?
Any adjusted for inflation $227,000 speakers back then?
I don't think it is quite the same market but yes agree that tech is better for less. That is not the same as buying flagship amp in 80's to buying one today.

NoahH

Just for entertainment, I looked up how much Victrolas were when they released:

https://victrola.com/pages/victrola-and-its-various-models#:~:text=The%20Victor%2DVictrola%20was%20designed,rate%20of%20the%20Victor%2DVictrola.

$200 in 1906. That is ~$6500 today. Not exactly a conclusion, but interesting extreme history data point.