I hear hemp is legal in Montreal now...

gary

« on: 2 Apr 2005, 10:13 pm »
...just in time for Louis' new drivers. For anyone who's curious, these things flat out rock. Dynamics that would make any drummer proud and a midrange that yeilds an uncanny realism on vocals and the cello. They do treble like no single driver speaker has business doing. And the new amp from Red Wine & Omega... unbelievable... it looks every bit as good as the Clari-T sounds (hopefully I'll get some pictures up tomorrow).

The room was packed for the two hours I was there, and for good reason. With the battery dac and Vinnie's digital cable the system made most everything else at the show sound slow and stupid. There were only about 4 other rooms that really impressed me, and the cheapest of those was at least 10x more expensive than Louis' & Vinnie's setup. Very nice work guys.

Gary

-Richard-

« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2005, 11:54 pm »
Thanks for the overview Gary!

Please keep us informed with any insights
you have from your experiences at the show...

I am certain there are many other interested followers
of Louie's and Vinnie's work besides myself who find
your observations of keen interest.

Warm regards -Richard-

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2005, 12:21 am »
Gary,

New amp??????????  Is this the modified TEAC or something else?

NB

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2005, 12:44 am »
Nope. It's a suped up Clari-t... and in much nicer clothes!

gary

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2005, 03:23 am »
Enter the Lotus, the pimped up, hotrodded, and oh-so-beautiful Clari-T...

Pic 1
Pic 1
Pic 1

Hopefully these links work as I won't be able to test them because it's taking so long to upload the files via dialup.

Enjoy...

Gary

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2005, 03:26 am »
The pics do work, and for the record, I think that is a really nice enclosure.

Nice work boys!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2005, 04:01 am »
Quote from: gary
Enter the Lotus, the pimped up, hotrodded, and oh-so-beautiful Clari-T...

Pic 1
Pic 1
Pic 1

Hopefully these links work as I won't be able to test them because it's taking so long to upload the files via dialup.

Enjoy...

Gary
Links worked fine...looking good !!! Thanks for posting. Have a good time up there !! :thumb:

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2005, 01:09 pm »
Ah Lotus, the volt meter and woodwork is way cool!!!  Have a great time at the show and whatevey you do, "smoke those new cones".  Something tells me that all this will do is give you a very bad headache.  :lol:

NB

MarcD in NYC

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2005, 05:11 pm »
Gary,

Thanks for posting the pictures.  This looks like an amazing product colaboration for Vinnie and Louis!

Was there any mention on who these will be available through?  Red Wine or Omega?

Bwanagreg

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2005, 05:36 pm »
Beautiful amp!!! Thanks for posting the pics Gary.

Dmason

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2005, 06:18 pm »
Laissez le bon temps roullez dans la belle Province ce soir! Par toutes acconts la musique est magnifique avec hemp et Tripath. Bravo Louis et Vinnie! Vive la Lotus! Vive l'Quebec! Fumez votre hemp :mrgreen:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2005, 05:04 am »
Quote from: Dmason
Laissez le bon temps roullez dans la belle Province ce soir! Par toutes acconts la musique est magnifique avec hemp et Tripath. Bravo Louis et Vinnie! Vive la Lotus! Vive l'Quebec! Fumez votre hemp :mrgreen:

Thanks Dan!

Here is some preliminary info:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Lotus.html

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
6moons Moon Beams
« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2005, 12:47 pm »

kbuzz3

msrp on the lotus??
« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2005, 02:20 pm »
Thats a heck of a good looking amp? Wonder what it costs

Dmason

« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2005, 02:31 pm »
And the picture of the new speaker seems to indicate it does NOT have a whizzer cone? Could this be true? A wide ranger in the European model? Time for more information..

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2005, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
And the picture of the new speaker seems to indicate it does NOT have a whizzer cone? Could this be true? A wide ranger in the European model? Time for more information..

Hi Dan,

No, the hemp is a dual cone.  The whizzer just didn't show well in the picture.  Louis just got back last night...I'm sure he'll post more details soon.

Louis O

« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2005, 02:21 am »
Hi Gary,

Many thanks for the great post and it was great meeting you at the show. I’m very happy you liked the system and I can’t say enough about the new Lotus amp. Vinnie did such a great job on it and it sounded so good. The system had great synergy. We had some really high dollar Triodes with silver trannies and EM320Bs there too and the Lotus has so much more control, depth, speed and grip of the speakers. They really sang and so quite too.  As a tube guy, I’m totally bit by the digital bug and Dan your right on about everything we talked bought.

Thanks so much for the great compliments on the enclosures and Vinnie gets all the credit for the volt meter this was totally his idea. It gives the outside a retro look and the inside is high tech. Kind of a cool blend.

The amps can be ordered from both of us, but all technical questions go to Vinnie. Prices are still being worked out and we’ll post very soon about it.

The hemps.

Time was really short and I got the drivers about 2 weeks before the show. I ran all the simulations and came out with the first version and went to work on the boxes. When I was doing this I put them on the burner. This version which I was calling the compacts because I don’t have the names yet is a Super 3 on steroids. The wide baffle works really well and they need short stands. Noel is working on them now and he will have a fitted stand available. I had them on 12” stands at the show with a little front tilt and this was the best combination. The 18”-20” stands work well too. The short stands  create some great room gain from the rear port and the speakers are so fast that the fill was really good.

The driver is the pre production version and I have to do some tweaks, but it’s pretty much all there. Looks like the production model will have a rolled wizzer, a new damping on the accordion surround and a bucking magnet. They should be here very soon. The first impressions was the extended treble. I was amazed by the treble extension these drivers have. The bass is very strong too and the best part is the speed. Very controlled and fast. The suspension and the light cone (10 grams) has a lot to do with it. Bass is strong down to an F3 of 50Hz and in room at 44Hz. The spl is 96dB and 8 ohm load. The hemp fiber is also much longer and stronger than paper and gives a great balance to the sound.  I made sure the drivers had a high Q and longer x-max so that they are specifically dialed in to BR cabinets. They are versatile and the Floorstander is in the works right now. I looking for an F3 of 44 and in room at 37Hz with these. The cabinet won’t be overly large and I promised to keep the prices as low as I can.

The 4.5” drivers are on the way and I hope it works out well in the Super 3s. I want to have a floor stander version of these too.

Thanks again,
Louis

BRN

« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2005, 10:47 pm »
Louis,

I can't wait much longer. The little I have read just reinforces what you told me about the new speakers. Can't wait to see more pictures and comments on what people thought.

Brad