Textured and Burgundy Paint Samples

BlindFalcon

Textured and Burgundy Paint Samples
« on: 3 Mar 2022, 11:24 pm »
When I was trying to figure out how to finish my X-LS Encores I thought I would try to veneer them.  Since I had never done it before, it seemed a bridge too far.  I saw some textured paint on other speaker builds so I sprayed a couple of samples.  I thought they looked good until a friend told me they looked like shingles.  I had already used duratex, the "plastic bag pat method," from Danny's video, and they looked pretty good, but I wanted to do something more.  I ended up using three coats of burgundy spray paint.  Someone said they looked like black cherry.  I'm really pleased with them.  For those considering just using duratex and spray paint, I though I'd post pictures of the samples.

Here are the textured paints I tried.  There are two samples for each paint, one sprayed lightly and one sprayed kind of medium (going left to right).

Here are the pictures of burgundy paint sprayed over duratex.  Like I said above, I used three light coats.

And here's the finished product.

I continue to be amazed by these little speakers.  My wife and I just listened to Yo-Yo Ma's version of "Bach Cello Suite No.1 in G Major."  The speakers really pull out some great bass.  Not sure if I now add subs to the Encores, or try NX-Oticas.  Either way this build has me hooked.  Onward!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Textured and Burgundy Paint Samples
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2022, 03:03 am »
Nice job!