OB Sub First Impressions & Break-in

Vince in TX

Re: OB Sub First Impressions & Break-in
« Reply #20 on: 4 Mar 2022, 02:03 am »
Anxious to move the break-in timeline along I've been pumping a reggae playlist through them 24hrs/day for 4 days. So approaching 100hrs today I jumped in for a quick listen and am happy to say the thought of buyer's remorse vanished along with the initial muddy one note presentation. Still much to do to optimize, and all that will take some time, but the tone, texture and depth is lurking. What's striking is that visually you'd expect to be blown out the back wall by these things, yet that's not the case, they're gentle giants.

I was looking for a "Like" button, but couldn't find one, so this is me hitting the virtual "Like" button.    :thumb:

Side note, sometimes I think they can blow you out the back wall because every now and then while watching a movie something will explode out of nowhere and freak me out because it sounds so realistic.   The movie 1917 is the perfect example (when they were in the German bunker).

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2022, 04:29 am »
Anxious to move the break-in timeline along I've been pumping a reggae playlist through them 24hrs/day for 4 days. So approaching 100hrs today I jumped in for a quick listen and am happy to say the thought of buyer's remorse vanished along with the initial muddy one note presentation. Still much to do to optimize, and all that will take some time, but the tone, texture and depth is lurking. What's striking is that visually you'd expect to be blown out the back wall by these things, yet that's not the case, they're gentle giants.

Yeah, the settings and setup are important, but most of the 100 hours was probably spent getting acclimated to a more accurate sounding bass. Ninety-nine percent of the time, bass sucks wherever you hear it, especially at live concerts. Our ears have grown accustomed to poor bass performance.

zenfishbike

« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2022, 03:47 pm »
Yeah, the settings and setup are important, but most of the 100 hours was probably spent getting acclimated to a more accurate sounding bass. Ninety-nine percent of the time, bass sucks wherever you hear it, especially at live concerts. Our ears have grown accustomed to poor bass performance.

Indeed, I too believe that "break-in" also includes our ears/brain relative to new equipment however in this case I wanted to minimize that aspect, so I've listened to the subs twice; for 1hr at the beginning of the 100hrs, and for 15 minutes after. The settling in of the suspensions and amps were immediately apparent during the 15-minute session. The ear/brain acclimation phase is yet to come ensuring it will only get better from here!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2022, 05:08 pm »
Burn in is a thing, even with subs.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #24 on: 5 Mar 2022, 01:07 pm »
Burn in is a thing, even with subs.

Hi. I’m not able to rock out with bass heavy music, for the time being, but I play music all day from radio and Spotify (electronic, house, jazz, disco, pop) at a moderate volume. If I set the 370 amp to 14hz and max damping. Can this help me out and speed up with the burn in, of the sealed sub?

zenfishbike

« Reply #25 on: 5 Mar 2022, 03:20 pm »
Hi. I’m not able to rock out with bass heavy music, for the time being, but I play music all day from radio and Spotify (electronic, house, jazz, disco, pop) at a moderate volume. If I set the 370 amp to 14hz and max damping. Can this help me out and speed up with the burn in, of the sealed sub?
Hi Rikard. I'm just surmising here but I would guess you can accomplish a large percentage of break-in at less than loud levels on both the woofer suspensions and amp circuitry. I've been running mine at what I would suggest is a moderate level (subs only to limit the distraction) set at 14hz, hi and low damping, and 120hz crossover thinking this would exercise them best and have had results

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar 2022, 05:52 pm »

Find a test CD with bass tones for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 80hz (or something close to that).  Run the frequencies on repeat at moderate volumes, you should get quite a bit of movement from the woofer and not a lot of sound.  This helps with woofer break in, a lot.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #27 on: 7 Mar 2022, 11:12 pm »
Hi Rikard. I'm just surmising here but I would guess you can accomplish a large percentage of break-in at less than loud levels on both the woofer suspensions and amp circuitry. I've been running mine at what I would suggest is a moderate level (subs only to limit the distraction) set at 14hz, hi and low damping, and 120hz crossover thinking this would exercise them best and have had results
Thank you for the guide and How To.
I have to go easy, because wifey complains when the porcelain rattle…..

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #28 on: 7 Mar 2022, 11:16 pm »
Find a test CD with bass tones for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 80hz (or something close to that).  Run the frequencies on repeat at moderate volumes, you should get quite a bit of movement from the woofer and not a lot of sound.  This helps with woofer break in, a lot.
Thanks. Found a pink noice MP3 on the Pirate. Will run it together with other Trunk Funk music. Place it in the garage, next to the neighbours so the dust on their painting’s losen up….