OB Sub First Impressions & Break-in

zenfishbike

OB Sub First Impressions & Break-in
« on: 28 Feb 2022, 03:28 pm »
Searching on this topic surprisingly didn't reveal much, forgive me if I missed it. Took my dual OB subs on their maiden voyage last night. As is typical with new gear the first hour flirted with buyer's remorse. Fortunately I've gained enough experience to persevere, after that they became listenable. The speed is apparent, which mates well with my relatively modest Linn system which excels at that, though they're still somewhat muddy with more of a "one note" presentation than fleshing out the full frequency range. How long can it take for the nuance of texture and tone to emerge? 20, 50, 200 hours?

I know part of the issue is that large footprint sitting on a suspended carpeted wooden floor. I don't have room for outriggers so I'm thinking I need isolation feet of some kind. Have to look at DIY options for those as the good ones cost a fortune.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: OB Sub First Impressions & Break-in
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2022, 03:32 pm »
Take some measurements running pink noise through them.  Figure out where you have the largest bass peak in the response.  Use the PEQ on the sub amp to knock that peak down.  Bass should be a lot more even after that. 

I found with mine it took about 100 hours of pretty bass heavy music to get them to sound really good.

zenfishbike

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2022, 03:37 pm »
Take some measurements running pink noise through them.  Figure out where you have the largest bass peak in the response.  Use the PEQ on the sub amp to knock that peak down.  Bass should be a lot more even after that. 

I found with mine it took about 100 hours of pretty bass heavy music to get them to sound really good.

Thanks Tyson, I should have mentioned the maiden voyage was an excitable quick and dirty install. The detailed dialing in phase with measurements is yet to come though I thought it best to wait until the suspensions are fully broken in.

Tyson

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2022, 03:58 pm »
Ah, yes if the subs aren't dialed in to the main speakers yet, then they are not likely to sound good.  Best thing to do is measure the main speakers full range, then measure the subs full range, and then start to change the sub's crossover point until they blend smoothly with little to no overlap.  Another mistake many people make is to run the subs too loud, which tempting to do because it makes things sound fuller and weightier.  But in the end it also has the side effect of making the whole system sound more muddy. 

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:38 pm »
What type of content are you running through them?   Any room treatments (e.g. bass traps)?   Did you walk around the room listening for nodes?   How are they connected to your source (LFE channel, high-level)?   I found that the subs really started to open up after I had well over 100 hours on them.   I haven't ran too much music-only content through mine since I have them in a Home Theater configuration, but these are some of the films that exercised the bass frequencies the most:

Anything Michael Bay (e.g. Transformers series)
Bladerunner 2049
Dune 2021
Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (opening sequence has some amazing bass sweeps and the film overall has a lot of bass-heavy music tracks)
Interstellar (so low it shakes the room on liftoff)

I used Into the Spiderverse movie recently to root out the remaining rattles in my room.

tom739

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2022, 09:37 pm »
When I first started using my 2x12 pair of OB subs, the first thing I notice was the speed. Like you said, The speed is apparent. I did not notice much difference in break in over time. The biggest reason I went with OB subs was hoping it would solve the "room issue". The peaks and unevenness of bass in a room. I think OB helps, but does not solve room issue. Other than that, it took some time to get their best placement and amp settings to a point that I am good with.

I still may try a third sealed sub in back of room to help smooth out more. Add elasticity to the bass. Not for more SPL.

If I had to do again, I might go with a Swarm approach with box subs. That may mostly solve the room issue, don't know. But that is what it is designed for.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2022, 09:47 pm »
Another parameter that needs to be dialed in is phase. If the subs are out of phase with the main speakers there will be cancellation going on

zenfishbike

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2022, 09:54 pm »
What type of content are you running through them?   Any room treatments (e.g. bass traps)?   Did you walk around the room listening for nodes?   How are they connected to your source (LFE channel, high-level)?   I found that the subs really started to open up after I had well over 100 hours on them. 

Thanks Vince. My room has some treatment but is still a work in progress pending a remodel and, yes, more detailed dial-in procedures with measurements to come. High level connection, same as existing REL Stadium III. Same music sources and types. Tried for as close to an apples-to-apples comparison except for location of course. I believe what I'm hearing at first pass is stiff suspensions and amps. I can get 50hrs on them this week, then skip a week due to visitors, so will be 3-4 weeks before they are sufficiently cooked...just before a month-long trip....so it will be a while before we tango well together....

zenfishbike

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2022, 10:03 pm »
When I first started using my 2x12 pair of OB subs, the first thing I notice was the speed. Like you said, The speed is apparent. I did not notice much difference in break in over time. The biggest reason I went with OB subs was hoping it would solve the "room issue". The peaks and unevenness of bass in a room. I think OB helps, but does not solve room issue. Other than that, it took some time to get their best placement and amp settings to a point that I am good with.

I still may try a third sealed sub in back of room to help smooth out more. Add elasticity to the bass. Not for more SPL.

If I had to do again, I might go with a Swarm approach with box subs. That may mostly solve the room issue, don't know. But that is what it is designed for.

I'll be using one, maybe two, REL Stadium III in the rear for punch and fill. As well at NX-Otica's which still need to be built. And a room remodel is on tap as well. Baby steps. Before all that however I hope to hear more tone and texture after enough break-in and dialing in with measurements.

zenfishbike

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2022, 10:07 pm »
Another parameter that needs to be dialed in is phase. If the subs are out of phase with the main speakers there will be cancellation going on

Yup. Without measuring all I did is try 0 and 180 degrees by ear. It was obvious that 0 was the better choice between those two.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2022, 10:19 pm »
How high up are you running them? I’ve built a couple systems using those and, to me, they are subwoofers.

As such I found the higher you crossed them over the muddier things got. I like them at 60-80 Hz so I make sure the main open baffle can get good output that low.

I’ve also found they need about 4’ behind them and a combination of diffusion and absorption helps too.

Used in that frequency range they work well; they are pretty fast, go deep and sound great.

Have fun dialing them in.

NoahH

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2022, 02:36 am »
... I am just sitting here jealous of people who are getting plate amps...

zenfishbike

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2022, 02:42 am »
How high up are you running them? I’ve built a couple systems using those and, to me, they are subwoofers.

As such I found the higher you crossed them over the muddier things got. I like them at 60-80 Hz so I make sure the main open baffle can get good output that low.

I’ve also found they need about 4’ behind them and a combination of diffusion and absorption helps too.

Used in that frequency range they work well; they are pretty fast, go deep and sound great.

Have fun dialing them in.

Ah, although they are about 4 feet off the front wall there is an equipment rack in between, that would be hindering some breathing space to some degree. I won't be able to rectify that until the room is remodeled and the rack relocated. I played with lots of frequency settings and think I settled in around 50-60Hz.

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2022, 03:25 am »
Also, put them as close to your main speakers as you can.  They are not like normal subs that do better in the corners.  They do best if they are right in line with the main speakers.

zenfishbike

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2022, 04:33 am »
Also, put them as close to your main speakers as you can.  They are not like normal subs that do better in the corners.  They do best if they are right in line with the main speakers.

Got it, that I did inboard of the mains. Eventually will be outboard. I've seen others place them a foot or two behind the mains possibly to get them out of the soundstage area?

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2022, 04:39 am »

Or on top.

NoahH

« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2022, 04:52 am »
Or on top.

Well, those are gorgeous.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2022, 05:03 am »
Well, thank you!

Dogman

« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2022, 06:47 am »
Puuuurdy  :thumb:

zenfishbike

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2022, 01:05 am »
Anxious to move the break-in timeline along I've been pumping a reggae playlist through them 24hrs/day for 4 days. So approaching 100hrs today I jumped in for a quick listen and am happy to say the thought of buyer's remorse vanished along with the initial muddy one note presentation. Still much to do to optimize, and all that will take some time, but the tone, texture and depth is lurking. What's striking is that visually you'd expect to be blown out the back wall by these things, yet that's not the case, they're gentle giants.